Choo The Specializt - “Hold On Be Strong”

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Vance Branch, better known as Choo The Specializt, is a multi-platinum music producer who comes from a family of well respected musicians. In 1950, Laurie Tate, Vance’s grandmother, became the first R&B artist to sign with Atlantic Records with the hit single “Anytime Anywhere.” Vance’s mother and father were also musically oriented and were signed with a Sony Records group called UJIMA.

Vance’s childhood influences lead him to where he is today, which he is very passionate about. He received his big break at the age of 22 when he produced “Hold on Be Strong” for Tupac Shakur, which was later released in 1997 on the multi-platinum selling album R U Still Down? (Remember Me). Since then, Vance has produced music for the likes of Ghost Face Killah on a song titled “Malcolm,” which is certified Gold on his Greatest Hits album. He has also worked with artists such as Tekitha, Blue Raspberry, Black Knights and Quan Shyheim among others.

Choo started out his career DeeJaying local parties, and since then he has come a long way and now owns his own production company, record label and publishing company and is currently working on finishing the final touches on a movie script that he wrote titled Shistie Affairs, which begins production in 2009.

StreetHop.com recently sat down with The Specializt, while he spoke to us about the early stages of his career, his life experiences, what it was like growing up, working with Tupac on the track “Hold on Be Strong,” as well as his career plans for the future. We at StreetHop.com ask everyone to show their support to Choo The Specializt by dropping a line on his official MySpace page at MySpace.com/ChooBeats. Any other inquiries about his music and mastering services can be made directly to him by visiting MySpace.com/ChooDaMasteringHouse.

StreetHop.com: What was it like growing up?

Choo The Specializt: Growing up was really hard in the projects. My mother was a single parent doing the best she could with me and my now deceased sister, Alvonia Branch (R.I.P.).

StreetHop.com: Which artists inspired you to take a step towards the music industry?

Choo The Specializt: Older R&B groups like Earth, Wind & Fire, Cameo and Michael Jackson.

StreetHop.com: How did you start out DeeJaying?

Choo The Specializt: I started out at home on a stereo that had pause buttons when I was 12 years old, and when I got to middle school and high school, I started DeeJaying parties and got my first paid contract in high school.

StreetHop.com: What helped you decide that being a producer was something that you wanted to do professionally?

Choo The Specializt: My parents and grandmother were into the business and that had a lot of influence on me. My grandmother was the first Jazz artist on Atlantic Records with Ray Charles. I met Tupac Shakur back in 1991, and I asked my Dad to buy me a sample keyboard so I could start making beats. I stayed in the house every day making tracks on cassette tapes and mailing them to Tupac and other music labels.

StreetHop.com: Speak to us about the hardships you endeavored while you were working to bring out your music career.

Choo The Specializt: I went through hell trying to break into the music business. I use to call record label executives everyday making appointments to go to New York to play beats and it caused me to leave jobs and just go for it. I use to sleep in front of studios and wait for artists to come in to record. I used to sneak into hotels with my equipment to make beats. It was crazy and hard.

StreetHop.com: How did you and Tupac hook-up?

Choo The Specializt: My cousin and I, Kevin Anderson owned a restaurant in Richmond, Virginia and one night Tupac and his crew came walking down from their hotel to get something to eat. We were closed at the time and I thought a gang was coming to rob us but when I looked into the crowd, it was Tupac. It was right around the time when he did the movie Juice. When they came to the door I noticed it was him [Tupac] so I let them in the restaurant. We then turned on the grill, served them and gave them drinks. From there, we built a relationship and stayed in touch.

StreetHop.com: Describe your experience working with Tupac in studio.

Choo The Specializt: My experience was a dream comes true. I had the chance to work with Shock G, Stan “The Guitar” Man and many others. It was my first time in the studio with major artists so I was kind of nervous at first. I remember going to sleep while laying my songs and Pac woke me up and told me to go upstairs to sleep and rest and when I did, there was a party going on. There were some fine women of all races just dancing and drinking. It was crazy. After the party was over, I went downstairs to check on the session and Pac was still recording in the booth with no sleep. Man… dude was a workaholic.

StreetHop.com: What is your fondest memory of Tupac?

Choo The Specializt: One good memory I have is after the restaurant thing, Pac wanted to see the club life of Richmond, VA, down where he was performing. I drove him around while he was in the back seat just cracking jokes all night. We went to the club and when we got there everybody showed him so much love. He brought us drinks and danced on the dance floor with people crowding around him, just having a good time with the crowd. They loved him.

StreetHop.com: Was “Hold on Be Strong” originally supposed to be on another album?

Choo The Specializt: I can't remember. All I know is that he was recording a lot of songs at the time.

StreetHop.com: Could you tell us the time frame the song was recorded in?

Choo The Specializt: Yeah, the song was produced and created by me in 1992/93 and recording around 1994/95.

StreetHop.com: The song was recorded in California, correct?

Choo The Specializt: Yeah, we recorded in California. Pacs label Interscope flew me there to record for the weekend.

StreetHop.com: Have you produced any tracks for Tupac that haven’t been released yet?

Choo The Specializt: Yes, I produced a lot of records but he only brought two songs. One of them should still be on a Reel-to-reel [audio tape].

StreetHop.com: Speak to us about the recording session of “Hold on Be Strong.”

Choo The Specializt: As I can remember, Stan “The Guitar” Man played his guitar bass-line over mine. We had trouble clearing an Anita Baker sample I used. She didn’t want to have two parts in the song, but we did get a clearance from Earth, Wind & Fire. They were cool about me using a piece of their work and I had to split my publishing with them as well. As far as [recording] takes, Tupac was a genius in recording not too many takes. He did like to add a lot, I mean a lot of adlibs (vocals stack) to his songs. The studio had a lot of dudes there that were down with Pac. Not sure who they were. The late rapper Randy “Stretch” Walker was in the studio as well.

StreetHop.com: Where were you the night Tupac got shot in a drive-by in Las Vegas?

Choo The Specializt: I was in Richmond, VA with my family. When I heard about it, I was like damn, I worked and know the dude personally and I was just praying he would be alright.

StreetHop.com: Were you working with anyone that Tupac was working with at that time?

Choo The Specializt: Yeah, when Pac got locked up I started grinding real hard up in New York and a family/friend of the Wu-Tang Clan introduced me to RZA and they just took me in and brought me some equipment to make beats.

StreetHop.com: From all of the artists you have worked with, which one gave you the best impression?

Choo The Specializt: Tupac gave me the best impression because he was a strong leader not afraid to speak his mind.

StreetHop.com: What advice would you give to someone who wants to enter the music industry?

Choo The Specializt: My best advice is to do your own thing and create a buzz and make your own money. Industry cats are not in it for the craft and skills no more. They need a hit and after that you get shelved owing money and in debt.

StreetHop.com: Where do you see yourself ten years from now?

Choo The Specializt: Ten years from now I see myself coming up in rank like Russell Simmons or Diddy. My business skills and talent are on point. I look towards the future to build different projects other than producing music. I see myself rich B**ch!

StreetHop.com: Tell us about some of the projects you are currently working on.

Choo The Specializt: I currently have a CD-Mastering Studio in Decatur, Georgia. I just mastered Trillville’s new album and others that are soon to be released. I’m working on a film that I wrote and a soundtrack, producing tracks for Tekitha, Shyheim, Don P, and others on the low. I’m also a promoter here in GA where I have a Beat/MC Battle every Monday at club Trademark in Downtown, Atlanta, as well as other clubs in the works.

StreetHop.com: Have you been contacted by Amaru to work on future Tupac projects?

Choo The Specializt: Nah, they may have tried but I lost contact and numbers a long time ago. My link was only with Tupac and Interscope.

StreetHop.com: Thank you for taking the time to let us interview you. Do you have any last words for the fans?

Choo The Specializt: Yes, Just keep striving and don’t let nobody hold you back from your dreams.

Click here to join in on a chat with members of 2PacBoard.com

good interview, nice info. Its always nice to see some tiny stories coming out a decade later from ppl who spent time with Pac

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.