Jimi Kendrix

Caesar

Staff member
Note: During our various upgrades over the years certain interviews have been "misplaced." We are now adding them back to our archives. This interview was first published on January 19, 2004.

Jimi Kendrix is a hot new producer who has worked with a variety of artists. We at StreetHop had a chance to catch up with the new mega producer and discuss his background in production, his future plans, as well as the upcoming projects for Family Bizness Muzik, a new upstart label which Jimi is a part of.

StreetHop: First off, let the fans know how you got started in production.

Jimi Kendrix: Well I started off as a musician in church. I played the drums. It was my grandfathers church so music was a constant thing for me.

StreetHop.com: Who were some of your influences on the production side?

Jimi: People such as Quincy Jones, Maurice White, Rick Rubben, of course Jimi Hendrix, and also my grandmother Pearl Attmore (Songwriter and owner of Pearl Star Productions). She wrote a lot of music and worked with Kelly Price on her first recording.

StreetHop.com: What was the first track you worked on professionally that appeared on an album?

Jimi: Kelly Prices first album. (Soul of a woman).

StreetHop.com: Talk about the work you did on Ja Rule'ss album... I mean the production on tracks like Change Gon come was so serious, speak on working on that album and working with Ja.

Jimi: Well first, working on Ja Rules album was a big opportunity. It wasn't my first time working with an artist of his caliber but I always thought that Ja Rule was one of the artists that I would never be able to reach. I think I gave them just what they wanted. Irv allowed me to be me. I didn't have to do the traditional Ja rule record, so maybe you can just say it was perfect timing.

StreetHop.com: Also, you've worked with other big named artists, talk about some of those experiences.

Jimi: Well lets see I've done Little Zane, Jay Z , Ruben Studdard, Mic Geronimo, Az, Juelz Santana... I think they were all great experiences, I learned a lot from each of them.

StreetHop.com: Which artist would you like to work with that you haven't worked with already?

Jimi: I really don't know, there's a lot... Janet Jackson, R Kelly, John Mayer, Aerosmith, Dixie chicks, Tatu, Pink, Marlin Manson, Gwen Stefani... I respect all arts of music.

StreetHop.com: Now lets talk about Family Bizness Muzik, it looks like it will be a busy year for your camp. There's a lot of projects lined up, speak on some of the upcoming projects and any information you can give us about them.

Jimi: We've just wrapped up Patty La Belle's album, Down south artist Alfa Maga (Universal), a couple songs for Rell & Young Steph (Roc Music), and of course being a part of the INC production team, Lloyd (I.N.C R&B artist) and the bulk of Ashanti and Ja Rule's album (set to hit in May and June). Also FBM is attempting to promote its hottest item, Billy Guy, with mixtapes coming to a hood near you very soon. It's hosted by me and the bulk of the production is done by FBM (Guess Who's Coming)

StreetHop.com: Touch on how FBM got started and who is a part of it?

Jimi: Family Bizness Muzik originated a year ago from my uncle Boogz and my brothers. Boogz left his programming situation with Bad Boy. Shawn and the rest of us struggled to get the family together to form our own production company. My uncle Boogz, (God Brother) Dinky, and (Younger Brother) Shawn Zoo Smith, are the producers that have worked on records on their own. My twin brother Corey is on the bass (you're going to hear a lot from him). My youngest brother Jay B & D Black and two artists T.J. (Gospel) and Billy Guy (Hip Hop).

StreetHop.com: Now 2004 looks like a strong year for FBM and you, what are some of the goals you have for this year and what do you hope to accomplish?

Jimi: First off, we want to change music. Allow other producers and artists who were like us the opportunity to be heard . And secondly, become a multi-media production company (no boundaries) - work with all types of music.

StreetHop.com: Thanks for your time and I hope our fans will get more familiar with you and FBM because whoever has heard the production from you knows it's serious and that big things are on the horizon. We will catch up more in-depth in an audio interview where are fans can also send in questions, but for now is their anything else you would like to touch on that we didn't discuss?

Jimi: Just a quote: We are the future, the past, and the present. Its about the music and as musicians there are no limits (Uncle Boogz). Also if you would like a copy of Billy Guy's mixtape (Guess Who`s Coming) hosted by yours truly, send a $2 money order and envelope with return address to:

Family Bizness Muzik
158 - 37 75th Ave
New York , NY 10010

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.