Maintaining Muscle

Bobby Sands

i cant really workout as much as i like anymore to build more muscle.

but what i want to is maintain what i have. is working out once a week sufficient to do this?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Full body workout once a week? Everyone's different and it depends how much muscle you have. Eating enough calories and protein a day is just as important.

Bobby Sands

well all along i worked out 3 nights a week.but now i cant do that anymore.

so on saturdays i do:

bench press- 4 by 8,7,6,5
narrow grip bench press-4 by 8,7,6,5
Shoulder press-3 by 7
Barbell curls-3 by 8
concentration curls/hammer curls-3 by 8
shoulder shrugs- 4 by 8
pull ups-3 by 6

and im doing my best to eat enough protein on a daily basis.

Shadows

ouch. sorry to hear about ur knees.

I think you can maintain a similar build, but i think u will lose some muscle mass if u keep doing it for a long time.

Bobby Sands

ouch. sorry to hear about ur knees.

I think you can maintain a similar build, but i think u will lose some muscle mass if u keep doing it for a long time.
well im hoping ill stay the same and maintain strength and i hope at some point ill be able to increase it to 2 times a week.

raywaters11

I'm not trying to sound like a heckler but if you get big (or stay big, idk your build) without working out your legs, that will be even harder on your knees.
I know your knees are bad but carrying around more weight will make it worse and worse over time. Look at Greg Oden for example. His knee was injured and in the offseason he bulked up, which sounded good until his physicians told him that was gonna make his knee that much worse.
Can you do stretches or anything? Even stretching will increase the muscles in your legs with minimal impact on knees.

Bobby Sands

^^thats probably what happened you know. either that or its from doing hack squats. my legs are pretty built up too though.

and i was told to do stretches by the physio and rest for a while which i have done. i havent ran since may. so maybe they might be fine now but you dont know until you start running on them again over a period of time.

raywaters11

Man that sucks. I took two months off from running due to injury and once I ran again I was horrible. I was only an average runner before then I got to being just plain bad. My three mile run time got worse by six minutes. I've improved it since then but still not where I used to be.
Maintaining strength is hard when you have to stop training. My pullups also went to shit (broken collar bone so they went to zero ha) but I've since gotten back to form in that area. Still can't do overhand pullups since I hurt myself, all underhand, but just to be back to where I was is a moral victory of sorts.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.