Social: Messaging apps

THEV1LL4N

So with all the privacy concerns surrounding WhatsApp, are any of you guys who already use WhatsApp planning to continue using it or switch to another platform?

People appear to be switching to Signal and Telegram.

Casey, any more news or updates on Sphere? Is it a UK-based start-up? Is your team looking at this recent development as an opportunity to get some leverage over the likes of WhatsApp?

THEV1LL4N

• I use Facebook less and only use it for a couple of groups that I need. Dislike FB Messenger as a messaging app due to their data collection.
  • I have not downloaded Instagram back because I want to reduce the amount of screen time scrolling down.
  • I dislike Snapchat as textual messaging platform and did not download the app back either.
  • Telegram seems to be decent
  • Google Messages seems to be nice with gradual improvements/integrations with Duo and other services but I still don't think it is fully end-to-end encrypted. It now features RCS which is great, but I'm not sure on how good the uptake is.
  • Signal - I haven't used this before but it is endorsed by Edward Snowden and Jack Dorsey.

masta247

Staff member
WhatsApp has been such a perfect messenger. It hurts so much to see what Facebook is slowly but steadily trying to do with it. I just want one simple app that everyone is on, that just works really well without using many resources, with end to end encryption and no server-side record/access to conversations or media. WhatsApp was EXACTLY that. I really hope Facebook backpedals on this. Wtf are they trying to get users location for now? The conversations will still be kept private and all other benefits remain, but location sharing with Facebook? wtf?

Da_Funk

I'm pretty light on the social media apps.

I have Facebook messenger and whatsapp on my phone. My buddies and I had some encrypted app that deleted messages after 24 hours we'd use to pick up off our dealers but it's been years since I've done that and I cant remember it's name anymore.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I have a few. But only use WhatsApp for talking socially. I haven't accepted the updated Ts and Cs yet. I'm waiting to see if the pressure gets Facebook to backtrack

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.