Swazy Baby Gets a Breath of “Fresh Air”

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
As newcomer Swazy Baby takes a breath of “fresh air,” he makes it a point to leave a trail of foot prints behind. The Cordele, Georgia-native recently signed a record deal with Slip-N-Slide Records – who is home to rappers Rick Ross, Plies and Trina – and is now a member of the all-star lineup.

“I am very happy to be a member of the Slip-n-Slide Records family,” the rapper stated. “Ever since I was a little boy, Slip-N-Slide has been a major staple in not only the south marker but all over the country.” Since signing with S-N-S, Swazy dropped his debut mixtape entitled: 10 Feet Tall & Bullet Proof. The mixtape – hosted by Bigga Rankin – includes Swazy’s new single “F*ck How You Dance” as well as remixes of several other mainstream hits.

Late last week, Swazy Baby sat down with RapWeekly.com in hopes to get better acquainted with his fans. The Georgia rapper spoke about the early stages of his career and how he climbed his way up the ladder, as well as his thoughts on the sound of modern day music. Although Swazy isn’t thinking about releasing a solo album anytime soon, fans will be excited to hear that the Slip-N-Slide rapper is currently working on another mixtape. For now, 10 Feet Tall & Bullet Proof is available to download for free here. To connect with Swazy Baby online, you can visit his official MySpace page at MySpace/SwazyBaby. For news and updates on the rest of the Slip-N-Slide artist roster, please visit SlipNSlideWorld.com.

RapWeekly: For those who don’t know who you are, please introduce yourself.

Swazy Baby: I’m that dude with a whole lot of swag and confidence in my music from a small town in Georgia called Cordele.

RapWeekly: What was it like growing up?

Swazy Baby: It wasn’t any better or worse than anyone else in the world. I’m not the only one who has struggled coming up. I’m just blessed to be where I’m at today.

RapWeekly: What inspired you to become a rapper?

Swazy Baby: My uncle inspired me because I liked his flow.

RapWeekly: How did you get into producing music?

Swazy Baby: I had a group around 6th grade and we didn’t have money to go and pay someone to make us a beat or record us so I sat down every chance I got and learned how to do everything myself.

RapWeekly: Which artists did you listen to while growing up?

Swazy Baby: 2Pac, Mystical, Trick Daddy and Outkast; my uncle had me listening to Wu Tang but I can’t really remember any of their music.

RapWeekly: What was it that attracted you to Slip-N-Slide Records?

Swazy Baby: It was first come, first serve. I had gotten to a point where I was like man; I got to get a deal. I mean, I remember watching the video and Trina shaking her ass in front of the camera in that “Take It to Da House” video (laughs). I loved that song and that video. It brings back a lot of memories.

RapWeekly: What was the inspiration behind your current mixtape 10 Feet Tall & Bullet Proof?

Swazy Baby: It was inspired by my friends back home. They used to always give me props and say I was hell and I’m going to kill that game if I get signed. The title for my mixtape really came from one of my partners. He was like “you should name your mixtape 10 Feet Tall & Bullet Proof” and that’s exactly what I did.

RapWeekly: What can you offer fans that other rappers already haven’t?

Swazy Baby: To be honest, there have been a lot of rappers starting from back then and I don’t think there is something I can offer my fans that they [the older generation of artists] haven’t. I can only say that I will give them great music.

RapWeekly: As an artist, what would you say is your greatest strength?

Swazy Baby: Having the ability to sing, rap, write, produce and make beats. Well, that’s more than one strength but it’s like a total package so...

RapWeekly: Are you currently working on a solo album?

Swazy Baby: I’m not thinking about an album until I get my street buzz bigger. That means more mixtapes and more hard work.

RapWeekly: Speak to us about any of the other projects you are working on.

Swazy Baby: I’m working on my next mixtape. It’s going to be called Almost There.

RapWeekly: Where do you see your rap career headed five years from now?

Swazy Baby: I see my career doing very well in the future. Not to sound cocky, but I have undeniable talent so I can’t do anything but go up from here, ya feel me?

RapWeekly: What is your opinion on the sound of mainstream hip-hop, as opposed to the sound of 90’s rap music?

Swazy Baby: The 90's music was real. They didn’t just make songs just to make em’. They put together songs that were talking about something and you loved it in the end. Now, people are just trying to get heard. I done heard some of the most stupid songs in the world. I swear I have. But I like music, period; so I can’t choose if I like the 90's or modern day better.

RapWeekly: Greatest rapper of all time: Biggie or Tupac?

Swazy Baby: You kidding, right? Dog, ain’t no way you can choose from these two. They both were lyrical. They both made songs that touched you. I won’t answer this one. I’m sorry.

RapWeekly: If Tupac was still recording music today, how do you think the music industry would be affected by his physical presence?

Swazy Baby: I think it would be hard for rappers to get deals because he had the standards set so high that if you couldn’t make a song almost as tight as his then you probably wouldn’t get signed. What I mean by that is a lot of the music that’s out today would have never been heard if he was still here.

RapWeekly: Which artists can you see yourself working with?

Swazy Baby: Pleasure P, Keri Hilson, Lil Wayne, Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Chris Brown...

RapWeekly: On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate your ability to freestyle?

Swazy Baby: I would have to say 5 because I’m alright sometimes and then I’m good when I’m high (laughs).

RapWeekly: Favorite Lil Wayne track?

Swazy Baby: I’m a modern day Lil Wayne fan so I say “Prom Queen” because he took it to another level.

RapWeekly: The 3 most recently played songs on your iPod?

Swazy Baby: I don’t have an IPod.

RapWeekly: Favorite album?

Swazy Baby: Da Realist

RapWeekly: Name 5 things that your fans probably don’t know about you.

Swazy Baby:

1. I played Running back in Highschool.
2. My nickname is Spud.
3. I don’t like attention.
4. I talk to myself in the mirror.
5. My favorite food is pizza.

RapWeekly: What word would you say best describes your persona?

Swazy Baby: Unpredictable because I have mood swings. Sometimes I’m cool and laughing and the next minute I’m quiet and not friendly.

RapWeekly: When you’re not in the studio, what do you do in your free time?

Swazy Baby: Watch cartoons and call all my friends and family back home.

RapWeekly: What advice would you give to anyone who would like to get into the music biz?

Swazy Baby: You can never get noticed half steppin’ so if you gonna do the music thing then go hard or go home.

RapWeekly: Any last words for the fans?

Swazy Baby: I love and appreciate y’all because you’re going to be the ones that make me who I am destined to be.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.