Workout routine

Da_Funk

Here's my new workout routine. Haven't done the gym thing in years so for all intents and purposes I'm a beginner.

Day 1:
Bench Press: 3 sets, 8 reps
Dumbbell Fly: 3 sets, 8 reps
Lying Leg Press: 3 sets, 11 reps
Supported Squat: 3 sets, 10 reps
Lying Lateral Raise: 3 sets, 8 reps
Shoulder Press: 3 sets, 8 reps
Tricep Dip: 3 sets, 10 reps
Ab curl: 3 sets, 12 reps

Day 2:
Lat Pull down: 3 sets, 8 reps
Seated Row: 3 sets, 10 reps
Hamstring Curl: 3 sets, 10 reps
Knee extension: 3 sets, 10 reps
Front raise: 3 sets, 8 reps
Straight Arm pull down: 3 sets, 8 reps
Bicep Curl: 3 sets, 8 reps

Day 3:
Cardio

Thoughts?

Glockmatic

Here's my new workout routine. Haven't done the gym thing in years so for all intents and purposes I'm a beginner.

Day 1:
Bench Press: 3 sets, 8 reps
Dumbbell Fly: 3 sets, 8 reps
Lying Leg Press: 3 sets, 11 reps
Supported Squat: 3 sets, 10 reps
Lying Lateral Raise: 3 sets, 8 reps
Shoulder Press: 3 sets, 8 reps
Tricep Dip: 3 sets, 10 reps

Day 2:
Lat Pull down: 3 sets, 8 reps
Seated Row: 3 sets, 10 reps
Hamstring Curl: 3 sets, 10 reps
Knee extension: 3 sets, 10 reps
Front raise: 3 sets, 8 reps
Straight Arm pull down: 3 sets, 8 reps
Bicep Curl: 3 sets, 8 reps

Day 3:
Cardio

Thoughts?
Do pull ups/chin ups instead of bicep curls and lat pull downs. You'll work out more muscles in less time. The mistake a lot of beginners do is they think they should work out each muscle individually. You should do exercises that work out many muscles at once.

Remember to lift the heaviest weight you can do in good form. Your CNS (Central nervous system) is what actually makes you strong, it activates your muscles and tendons to work efficiently. If you lift light weights, your CNS will be stimulated and will just say "Oh, it's this again, whatever, I'm taking a nap". If you lift heavy your CNS says "Oh hey, I haven't done this before. What can I do so I can be ready for this next time?", and your CNS will adapt to the changes and you'll actually be stronger (without necessarily looking bigger).

Glockmatic

My workouts are all 5x5 with heavy weights. My routine has evolved from pure strength lifting to now lifting for boxing and other sports (lot more hip/explosive power exercises)

Day 1 - Back day
Deadlifts - works out almost all your back muscles and entire body if done correctly. My delts and traps have exploded ever since I started lifting the heaviest weight I can do.
Pull ups - I can only do a few of these.
Barbell rows

Day 2 - Cardio
30 mins of jumping rope or 2 hours of bike riding. I do jump rope in 3 minute intervals with 30 seconds of rest in between.

Day 3 - Chest/Shoulder
Standing military press - I do these with my heels touching to work out my core more.
Bench
Chest fly
Rotary cuff rotation - More for strength to throw faster hooks and uppercuts, but helps for benching too
Power shrugs - Works out shoulders and hip strength.

Day 4 - Cardio again

Day 5 -
Back Squats - I made the mistake of doing deadlifts and back squats back to back a few years ago and it absolutely destroyed my back and I was out of commission for about 3 weeks. Now I give it a few days in between.
Front squats
Power cleans - Doesn't really build muscle, but it does improve explosive strength.

I put all my effort at the beginning of each weight lifting day to the most technical lift, so the first 20 minutes goes to deadlifts, bench and back squats so your form is correct and isn't dragged down by fatigue. I also do no ab-workouts because deadlifts and squats work my core enough (try standing straight with 250+ pounds on your back and you'll realize how much of an ab workout it can be)

Preach

My workout is going great. I'm seeing progress, both weight-wise and body appearance wise.

I'm gonna slowly shift over to a routine consisting of bench press, military press, chinups, pullups, deadlifts, squats, split squats and leg extensions. I'm just not strong enough yet. :) I've already started bench press and chinups. And sit-ups or ab crunches.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
My workout is going great. I'm seeing progress, both weight-wise and body appearance wise.

I'm gonna slowly shift over to a routine consisting of bench press, military press, chinups, pullups, deadlifts, squats, split squats and leg extensions. I'm just not strong enough yet. :) I've already started bench press and chinups. And sit-ups or ab crunches.
Pictures, or I don't believe it.

Also... Don't wear underpants in the photos.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.