Alchemist Part 2

Caesar

Staff member
Note: During our various upgrades over the years certain interviews have been "misplaced." We are now adding them back to our archives. This interview was first published on May 5, 2004.

In Part 2 of StreetHop's exclusive interview with the Alchemist, the producer goes in depth about his work on the new Mobb Deep album, his own solo LP and more. Click here to read part one.

StreetHop.com: How many tracks do you have on the new Mobb Deep album?

ALCHEMIST: Right now its just two. 'Cause again, Hav does beats that's his thing so its like, they let me in, you know I got like 10, 15 songs for the new album but two of will probably make the cut that's just how it is, you know, when it comes to Mobb Deep, but that enables me to have mad joints for like Whoo Kid or whoever to do whatever with them, you know what I'm saying? Yeah, but, probably going to be two joints on the album.

StreetHop.com: You did the "Twisted" joint, right?

Alchemist: Yeah. You know this time around it was like after the last album, on Infamy I just did one joint, and I had like 6-7- "Backwards" was ready for Infamy, its been around that long. That ended up on Free Agents on the bonus CD, that shit was hot but it got wasted, and it was like I learned now from playing the background with Mobb Deep like yo, I'm not trying to just make album cuts, cause I got so many of em its like you get lost in the songs. Fuck that, I'm not part of the group officially so I can't just make album cuts and survive. If I'm gonna be a producer, [claps for emphasis] I need my shit to be heard by the masses, it needs to be like 'Produced by him [Alchemist],' you know what I'm saying? It needs to be something special in order for me to survive continually, I don't wanna be this little underground dude who [just] does album cuts for Mobb Deep. So for this album, we had already done most of the shit, and I really sat back. We had like 10-15 joints in the can that was cool, a couple were better than others and it was like, none of em was 'the single,' you know what I'm saying? Hav did a couple hundred songs and it was like "Fuck that," I'm sitting back and I just try to make some shit that would really hit man and really thought about it, not really the lyrical content or the concept of the song, just the sound of the beat and the sample I was gonna flip and I was thinking of "Quiet Storm" and how they flipped the old... [starts doing the bassline to "Quiet Storm"]

StreetHop.com: "White Lines"

Alchemist: Right, you know and it was like the beat wasn't technically like an ill, beatmakers beat, it was just the song was a hit, you know what I'm saying. It gave you that feeling, so I was thinking of that a lot, and that's how we made the shit, I was trying to make a fucking hit record. I didn't wanna just sit back, I got so many joints I could just play that I feel are better beats and there�s more, you know, give you that feeling but, you'll be an unsung hero doing that shit, you know what I'm saying? Like sitting in a room playing it for people and the world will never hear it cause the music industry doesn't have faith [in the song]. So I felt like it was a good medium with the 'Twisted' joint like we flipped the old record but we still kept it gutter. We didn't go too far over the top, it ain't too bright, its still gutter, its for the club. Every Mobb record that ever blew, from 'Shook Ones,' 'Quiet Storm,' all of em were always in the club...

StreetHop.com: Like grimy records.

Alchemist: They were grimy, they weren't made for the club but if you remember parties back then it was like when they came on it was on in the club, you know?

StreetHop.com: Me being a DJ when I throwin those songs on in there the place...

Alchemist: Always! You knew when 'Shook Ones' was out, throw it on in the club it was like somebody's getting hurt, rowdiness going on, it was [claps for emphasis] that adrenaline. I wanted to bring back that shit, you know what I'm saying, and that's how we did 'Twisted.' So at the end of the day I'm not mad if I only have two joints on the album cause I felt like this time I brought a single to the table. This is the first time ever that the first Mobb [single] was by someone other than Hav, he'll always do the first record, then might throw some shit afterwards, know what I mean?

StreetHop.com: Well, 'Gangstaz Roll' was supposed to be the first single, right?

Alchemist: Right, well it was like more of a 'let's test the streets' joint, you know what I mean? I think Jive [Records] and people started working it more cause they got a decent response from it, but it wasn't really that type of record that will put you over the top. I love 'Gangstaz Roll' man, the rhymes, everything is just that shit, but to go over to the top, its not in the club- there were certain things that were holding it back. So, Jive went for that and went with it but then it wasn't going all the way, so it was like "What are we gonna do right now? We want a hit record, we don't wanna be playing around. We need something on a major level." Especially with the current state of rap music in New York, nobody's really taking it... all the records that's coming out of New York is like their incorporating the sound from over here, from over there, they're using this guy or that, its like nobody is just standing firm with their own shit. Alchemist is like a Mobb. I'm affiliated with them, so for them to come out the gate with their own team and all that, instead of going and hiring so-and-so and doing this, its just the record sounds like it came from New York, you know what I'm saying? It just has a good feeling and I think that were rolling with that. It's like...I don't love Ghost's [Ghostface's] single-

StreetHop.com: You don't like that?

Alchemist: I don't really like Ghostface's single. I don't really love Jadakiss's single. We're talking about Ghostface and Jadakiss, and we're all coming out this summer, you know what I'm saying? Mobb, Jada, Ghost, and I feel like right now we have a good look. Not dissing nobody else, everybody's doing their thing, but I feel like we got this right now as far as New York and this record and the Mobb album is just it's a good timing man. I feel like with that and my project coming right after it, its gonna be a good little movement of just that, pure rap shit or just that feeling. I don't wanna pigeon hole it or give it a name or anything or put it in a hole, its just gonna be a good feeling, its gonna be something people are gonna be excited about, you know what I mean?

StreetHop.com: I wanted to ask you about your solo album, 1st Infantry. A while ago, I heard it was supposed to be a collaborative album with yourself and Twin Gambino (of Infamous Mobb). Now its going to be a compilation album.

Alchemist: Yeah, its more of my album. Twin is a solo artist and he's an artist- me and him don't have a group. Me and him did a record together that I'm probably gonna put it on the album cause it never made it to an album or nothing. But, me and him, that's my man, he's a soloist and he's part of Infamous Mobb. It confused people cause we did a 12", and we put a bunch of records out. But 1st Infantry is just the title of my solo album. You know its basically like how Dre did The Chronic, rhyming somewhat through the album but it was based on his production and his cast of people, that's like my album. 1st Infantry is just my cast, people I fuck with and I'm on it, here and there just to hold it down you know but...that's basically what the 1st Infantry album is. Twin is doing his solo shit, we're working on stuff, he's working on the IM3 album and things like that. I don't wanna confuse people, you know what I mean, so we decided, like what I'm gonna have to do with the press now, like clear the air- this is my album, you know what I mean?

StreetHop.com: It's coming out on Landspeed?

Alchemist: Nah, Koch, Koch. ALC [Records], our label, Koch is the distributor.

StreetHop.com: What kind of artists are you going to be working with on 1st Infantry?

Alchemist: It's basically like, I assemble...Like Mobb, D-Block, G Unit...Soul Assasins basically that's the collaborations. I got a Devin the Dude record, I got a Nappy Roots record, I got um...a couple other things, Dilated record...some things else that you would probably expect. But its basically a collaboration with them, you know...good amount of Mobb basically you know. Pee holds down the whole album, probably gonna give him executive production credit cause he's definitely popping in and out of the album a lot, but I like it like that cause it gives it more of a vibe, you know what I'm saying? Like I assembled a unit of people, we kinda got down together, not always on purpose you know, we weren't always in the studio together but it feels that way when I listen to all the songs, it worked out well. Like I got this Lloyd Banks record...[The] Game is on a song with Pee. It's like a little bit of everybody, together on an album and its more street than...it's hard, you know what I'm saying? It's definitely that shit, its not like too much shit that you would be like "oh he made a record for the bitches." It ain't none of that. I just made songs cause I like em, really ain't too much hidden agendas with the songs, know what I mean? At the same time, its gonna be hard I think for people to get a full understanding of Alchemist with this album, that's why in the future I'm working on other stuff while I'm writing more and doing more shit as an artist, this is just going to be to open the door for that. Cause at the end of the day, it's still an album with a bunch of different songs, and I can give a message through that album as the Alchemist, as the artist.

StreetHop.com: You had The Cutting Room Floor first, and then Insomnia. Was that meant as promotion for your album or just something for the streets?

Alchemist: Yeah, we just decided to do that man to get people ready for the album, get them ready for a project that had my name on it. Get em ready for that. That was pretty much it. Get some of these joints out there that was just sitting around, you know?

StreetHop.com: What do you look for in an artist that you might possibly collaborate with?

Alchemist: Shit. I don't look for nothing I just listen! [Laughs]

StreetHop.com: Like Lloyd Banks, how did you hook up with him?

Alchemist: Yeah, that was like, affiliation, the management company got down with us. I respect him as an artist, you know mutual respect, so its like let's shoot for that right there, let's go for that one. Really wasn't too much premeditation on it. It kinda just happened, real spontaneous like "let's just do this." It just felt right, so really wasn't too much though, know what I'm saying?

StreetHop.com: Do you ever get any paths crossed up, like you were saying earlier about like when Blueprint was being recorded, there was the whole thing with Jay and Prodigy, do you ever get caught somewhere in between a beef? Like Nas and Mobb Deep-

Alchemist: Nah, cause I know where my loyalties stand as far as friends and all that or if it ever came down to me in a loyalty situation...it's just business at the end of the day. When it comes down to loyalty, I'm very loyal, you know, make no mistake. I've never been in a situation where I've had to choose like one way or another...that's just..childish, you know what I'm saying? Everybody knows it ain't really like that. If people thought it was like that then they were buggin. It's more like, everyone understands what's going on. If it ever came to a situation everybody knows where my side of loyalty is. If it's Nas or Mobb Deep, I'm rolling with Mobb Deep. If it came down to it, it's not even a question, know what I mean? But it would never have to be like that, I'm able to work with Nas and Mobb Deep, know what I'm saying?

StreetHop.com: Nowadays, is it like more artists are coming looking for you?

Alchemist: Yeah, sometimes. Sometimes, here and there. But uh...you still gotta grind man, gotta get your shit out there. They may want me, but know really know what I'm sitting on. They may be thinking about "We Gonna Make It" or something, know what I'm saying? Its like, do you make the beats or do the beats make you? I always say that. If the beat makes you and you don't make the beat, then it's just that one beat is what, know what I'm saying? If you're the person who made that beat, you can make another and another, a better one, the strength is in the person, you know what I'm saying, that's what I always try to tell people. All these A&Rs be like, 'make a new hit'...they don't get it. So fuck that I ain't trying to chase that shit.

StreetHop.com: Are you doing any work with Nas on his new album?

Alchemist: We'll see, know what I mean? I got some shit for him, but uh...I don't know how to get in touch with him right now. When we link, if we do, it'll be some shit. They got some joints we did a couple years ago that never came out. I wouldn't be surprised if that shit came out. I don't have a copy of it, or else I would have put that shit out already [laughs]. Fuck that, I ain't with all that.

StreetHop.com: I heard you were working with [Roscoe] P. Coldchain too, how'd that happen?

Alchemist: Yeah we did some joints. We did two joints. Both of em will come out one day, they [the Neptunes] just came from their situation at Arista, they're switching over their whole situation got fucked up.

StreetHop.com: How about the artist Poverty, you got a couple joints on his album.

Alchemist: Yeah.

StreetHop.com: Is that gonna see the light of day?

Alchemist: I don't know.

StreetHop.com: Is that frustrating to you when you do work on different albums and it eventually never comes out?

Alchemist: Whatever, you know what I mean? People gotta get their business right with their labels and all of that. If its hot, the shit will come out man. It it's hot it'll come out. So maybe it wasn't the right time, you know?

StreetHop.com: You do a lot of work with New York artists like Nas, Mobb Deep, Saigon, you know that have a certain kind of image, like a New York image. Could you see yourself working with a Common.

Alchemist: Hell yeah.

StreetHop.com: Someone like that, Mos Def.

Alchemist: Hell yeah. Being a producer man, you gotta be able to do different styles of beats. I just don't end up working with them for one reason or another but if we end up getting with each other, I'll definitely have a beat to fit to their style. 100%, know what I mean? I make different styles of music but, the artists I'm working with, end up doing those types of records. But I would definitely be open to that.

StreetHop.com: And what about, not even rapping, I know you did some work with Chinky, does that interest you? Like more R&B stuff?

Alchemist: Hell yeah. Just being able to create on any level. To have people go like, 'Alchemist did that?' That's way more exciting to me than like, 'oh Alchemist definitely did this.' I'd rather them be shocked, like that's more of my style. They can be like either think something bad or not good, but as long as their like taken aback about it cause just being predictable sucks, you know what I'm saying? And it works for a while but....yeah I like don't stuff like that. Chinky got a gangster song on the album, not "Letting Go," a different one.

StreetHop.com: Do you write a lot?

Alchemist: Hell yeah.

StreetHop.com: I know you used to be with the Hooligans.

Alchemist: Yeah, I write all the time. All the time. Even if I'm just giving a flow to whoever's here, like 'take this flow, do it like this.' Just the pattern, it doesn't even have to be the words, you know what I'm saying? It's like I'm just laying the sound to the beat, like a percussion instrument, or if I'm gonna add a hook or whatever, but I stay writing. It's like making beat, it's no different. Cause I'm hearing songs when I'm making beats.

StreetHop.com: What do you think of all the Black Album remixes, everyone is coming out with their own version of the Black Album, what's your take on that? Do you think that's good for hip hop?

Alchemist: That's cool man. It's taking it back, bringing back the creativity. It's an extension of technology as well, cause back then I don't think people was able to get all these fucking accapellas, and now with technology its easier to just get in touch...you know? Do these new versions, edits and shit that you could never have done. So I think its cool man, everybody got a different take, know what I'm saying?

StreetHop.com: You ever thought about doing your version?

Alchemist: Only reason why I wouldn't man is because at this point right now, I think if I had more albums underneath my belt as a producer, I would. But I've never done a whole album yet. Once I get a couple albums off the ground, where people can respect me as [producer for] a whole project, I'll probably mess around.

StreetHop.com: You're a big critic over your beats...

Alchemist: Nothing is ever finished. Ever. You could always do something better, you know what I mean? I give it up though, I don't beat myself in the head. Like I said, if people like it, I don't wanna piss on their parade like 'Oh, the snare could be different.' I don't say nothing like that. That's just personal, you know, between me and the beat.

StreetHop.com: In terms of you coming out, you have your album and you're trying to establish yourself as The Alchemist. Are you at all stressed about having to do press and go out.

Alchemist: I was built for this shit man. I've been doing it behind people for so long, standing on the side while they do it. It ain't no different, you know what I'm saying? Now that the focus is on me, I'll be able to speak my peace. Cause everybody who knows me knows that I'm a verbal motherfucker. I'm very opinionated, I'll have something to say. So its like, its time for me. I ain't afraid to do any of that shit. I seen it when I was young doing that shit. I've spent 10 years watching groups, start from the ground up and blow, start from the ground and blow up and drop, stay on top and continue on top for years, I've seen every different element of groups and artists. From the ground up I've seen motherfuckers love each other, fight with each other, come up, come down, it's like I've been schooled. So for me to not know how to do it now, I'd be a fucking fool, know what I'm saying? While I'm still relatively young, its like time for me to do this shit now so I can build up to wherever else I want it to be in the future, so I can be like 'I did that' and not have that burden on my shoulders. It's been like ten years in the making anyway, everything is just a step to where I'm gonna be at now with this next project, and after that, take more steps, you know what I mean? So everything up until now, is for a reason to where I'm at now. If I didn't rap for all these years, to be in the studio for all these songs and productions and know to fall back and not be like 'Yo let me rhyme on this,' when I've been rhyming for all these years, now I'm not gonna fuck all that up now. Try to jump on everything with this rhyming...I'm very conscious of that shit, you know? I value myself as an artist, so I definitely gonna do it the right way. People ain't gonna be mad at all.

Special Thanks to Bigg Jay from ALC Records

The Alchemist

Copyright Marty Caballero for StreetHop.com
May 2004

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.