Asher Roth - Suburban Kush

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Sometimes Hip-Hop magic comes from the most unusual and unconventional place. It happened in a trailer park with Eminem and he changed the world and rap forever; now can a campus dorm room rapper named Asher Roth do the same?

He certainly does have the motivation, and the talent. StreetHop.com sat down with what may very well be the next big thing to discuss comparisons, music, Jay-Z and the dream of a hobby, doing what you love, turning into a career.

Click here to download the mixtape that may have once again changed Hip-Hop forever and at the very least changed the life of a young college student turned rapper - Mr. Asher Paul Roth.

StreetHop.com: First thing right off the bat, and I apologize for this but you're going to get it a lot for a while, how does the Eminem comparison make you feel? Does it help get you noticed or is it a burden?

Asher Roth: Honestly - it's flattering. I haven't been doing this very long and the comparison I get is to the number 1 selling hip-hop artist of all time - I can't be too bummed out about that. However it has it's pros and cons. Pros - it's Eminem - a household name 2) people tend to gravitate towards stuff they recognize and are somewhat familiar with. Combine those two and it's not like that's deterring people from paying attention. However it is definitely a hurdle, it's going to be important for me differentiate myself and make sure people are aware Em and I are different artists.

You pretty much started out by rapping in your dorm room and selling mixtapes on campus right? How did you get noticed and signed?

Myspace - I was getting a little love around campus and became known as "Asher the Rapper" but it wasn't the battles or college radio that got me signed. It was simply a friend request, at the right time to the right person.

What did you study in college anyway?

Elementary education. I was going to be a teacher either way.

Tell us about the Jay-Z thing, you spit 150 bars in his office and he said you were nice? Man you're spitting in front of the President, what was going through your head?

I mean - when I first saw him, I laughed, turned around and walked out the room. After I gathered my composure, I came back in and said "sorry I don't normally do that but you're Jay-Z." After paying a little homage, you're just in the moment. You don't really think about it. I wasn't rapping like "ok don't screw up this is Jay-Z." It's more like - "ok - game time." I'ma rap for Jay the same way I rap for a female intern. Although I might throw an extra smile or wink in there for a the lady haha.

How did the whole situation come about and do you remember any of your lines from that day?

We went to Def Jam to go say what up to Shakir Stewart. He dug what was going on so he goes "Be right back." Comes back in and says "Yo, Ima have you rap for one of my friends." At the time I hadn't a clue it would be Jay-Z, I definitely thought it was going to be a girl. They always have you rap for the girls to make sure they like it. Sure enough, walking down the hallway, took a hard right, straight into the boss' office. That's when the "Ohhh shit" turn around and walked out happened. A line.... "No motivation? Well fancy me that, man, I've got more goals than Gretzky stat. First one on my list is impress my dad and, at a close 2nd is have sex with Ashley Olsen, it's far fetched but check my pulse and, as long as my heart beats second guessings far from the first thing, you should do when Asher Paul is on some, raw rugged and rough man these thoughts will cost em!"

One of your gimmicks or marketing tools or whatever, and every rapper has them, is this whole "Im not a rapper this is my hobby" thing, but at what point does it become work?

Good question. Great question. But my outlook on it is - yes, its work. I do put in work. Success isn't obtained without hard work. But I don't think of it like that. Once I start feeling the pressure from the outside world, I feel the music becomes unnatural and I hate forcing music. I try to capture moods and emotions with each song so if I start looking it at as work, it becomes almost manufactured. The work part is more these interviews and radio promotion at 6 am. The music and live show are things I'd be doing even if I wasn't getting paid.

Have you ever gotten any Hip-Hop extremists or rappers pissed off that you're treating what they take serious as simply a hobby like it's nothing to you?

A couple people have gotten at me on the whole tip like this is my lifestyle blahsy blah. But don't get it twisted, I take what I do very seriously - a little too seriously sometimes. It's just that my demeanor on an every day basis is very nonchalant and playful. I once got benched in baseball for being too nonchalant... True story.

So you're obviously on the verge of making it big, where do you want to be 2 to 3 years from now? Could this hobby turn into a long term career or do you just want to have fun with it now and bounce?

Haha of course man - I'm hoping to hang around for a little, take my shoes off, have a drink or 2 - I have a dope dope dope live show that I plan to build and take worldwide. I really want to travel. But I'm a performer, a leo homie - a center of attention mufugga. Who knows where that's gonna lead me.

How did the connection with Gangsta Grillz come about and whats the response to the mixtape been like?

A friendship between Scooter and the Aphilliates turned into a friendship with the Aphilliates and myself. They respect what I do and I respect what they do. We joined forces on "The Greenhouse Effect Mixtape" and people have been very receptive. Plus PA ALL DAY BABY!

What are some of your musical influences?

The Roots, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Blackstar, Biggie are artists I listen to often - first CD I ever bought was Dave Matthews Band - Crash, first tape cassette I ever bought was Billy Joel - River of Dreams - I derive my influence and inspiration from a lot of different music.

When is the album dropping and what can we expect from it?

The album will be out in fall and you can expect some very honest, good music that I'm proud to say a lot of people will relate to.

Anything else you'd like to say?

Just a shout to my fans, friends and family - I am nothing without them and can't tell them enough how much i appreciate the support and love

W

what it do

Homeboy has talent for a white boy, he kinda lucky that Em came first and paved the way for him, my niggas wasnt feeling Shady at first but now its whatever so Asher is lucky. Ill probably cop his album just because its gonna be different then the generic shit out right now.

W

westcoastin

gotta be kiddin me..shits lame get no play rap is dead
who is this white boy wannabe eminem lookin like offspring

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.