Technology Blu-Ray Vs. HD DVD. Who Will Win The War?

Who Will Win The War?

• Blu-Ray Disc (Sony)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HD-DVD (Microsoft)

• Other

• Total voters

masta247

Staff member
of course it will be blu-ray, it's a better format with bigger possibilities. Actually I think Microsoft won't let this war lost so they'll keep investing in it and we'll have 2 hd formats at the same time. Blu-ray is technically better, may store more, is faster and more durable. Also Playstation3 promotes blue-ray because it may store games. Hd-dvd can't yet, but it's advantage is that it's cheaper. In theory hd-dvd is for movies but 15gb vs. 25gb in blu-ray means you have a bigger frame rate in blu-ray so again hd-dvd losses in it's own category. Blu-ray recorders cost twice as much so it's one minus.

Btw. blu-ray is not sony and hd-dvd is not microsoft.

Blu-ray was invented together by Matsushita (initiators), Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung and Sony.

Hd-dvd by Toshiba and NEC

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
HD will win. Sony hasnt successfully introduced a technology medium since, well, ever.

This is going to go like Betamax vs. VHS. I doubt a lot of you even know what Betamax is. Basically they were both video formats, Sony's was the Betamax, and it died. Just like mini discs died. Just like UMDs will die out.

Why? Because Sony wants a monopoly on their technology which leads to more expensive blanks when it comes to home recorders.

There will be 100s of cheap ass HDDVD blanks on the market, and only expensive Sony Blu Ray, and thats why it will fail like all other Sony mediums.

Also, I honestly think including the Blu Ray with the PS3 hurt Sony. I dont think theres enough PS3s on the market to influence the home entertainment movie watching market, plus its in my experience made the Blu Ray seem like a gamers/teen thing while HD DVD, at least in the eys of the average father Joe Shmoe business man whos buying something for the home, more professional. Ive heard this from friends fathers and older business acquaintances of mine.

Also. HD DVD is region free, and add to that the fact copying them will be cheaper, its going to become the format of bootleggers around the world, and unfortunatly, that is a big influence on buyers in regards to what format they want at home. Do they want the ever expensive BluRay or the already cheaper HD DVD, for which they can buy the latest releases on next time they go to Thailand or whatever?

HD DVD will win.

masta247

Staff member
HD will win. Sony hasnt successfully introduced a technology medium since, well, ever.

This is going to go like Betamax vs. VHS. I doubt a lot of you even know what Betamax is. Basically they were both video formats, Sony's was the Betamax, and it died. Just like mini discs died. Just like UMDs will die out.

Why? Because Sony wants a monopoly on their technology which leads to more expensive blanks when it comes to home recorders.

There will be 100s of cheap ass HDDVD blanks on the market, and only expensive Sony Blu Ray, and thats why it will fail like all other Sony mediums.

Also, I honestly think including the Blu Ray with the PS3 hurt Sony. I dont think theres enough PS3s on the market to influence the home entertainment movie watching market, plus its in my experience made the Blu Ray seem like a gamers/teen thing while HD DVD, at least in the eys of the average father Joe Shmoe business man whos buying something for the home, more professional. Ive heard this from friends fathers and older business acquaintances of mine.

Also. HD DVD is region free, and add to that the fact copying them will be cheaper, its going to become the format of bootleggers around the world, and unfortunatly, that is a big influence on buyers in regards to what format they want at home. Do they want the ever expensive BluRay or the already cheaper HD DVD, for which they can buy the latest releases on next time they go to Thailand or whatever?

HD DVD will win.
I don't think Blu-ray will die.
In worst case there may be blu-rays and hd-dvds at the same time. There are already players that play both formats as they use the same blue laser.
Same as with dvd-r and dvd+r, they were competition but now both are widely used in same recorders.
Blu-ray is clearly better while hd-dvd is cheaper.

Blu-ray is a next gen game format so anyway when new pc games won't fit on dvd's they will burn them on blu-rays as hd-dvd is not capable of handling that.

Also Sony has nothing to do with blu-ray except introducing it in PS3 and few home stand-alone players. There were many companies in it and they put too much money to just let it die. They want it to pay them back.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Blu-ray is a next gen game format so anyway when new pc games won't fit on dvd's they will burn them on blu-rays as hd-dvd is not capable of handling that.
A 30GB HD DVD is going to be sufficient for gaming for sometime to come.

masta247

Staff member
A 30GB HD DVD is going to be sufficient for gaming for sometime to come.
Games won't use dual layer, it's damn expensive on plain dvd's
dual layer blu-ray or hd-dvd won't be really much in use. Also it's hard to record a game on a dual-layer disk considering different data will be on different layers so laser would have to constantly switch from one layer to another which takes like 5-7 seconds.
Also hd-dvd is simply too slow, blu-ray has nearly twice as fast transfer for multimedia like games.
One layer of faster BD - 25gig vs. slower hd-dvd 15gigs

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Blu-Ray is clearly the industry fav at the moment

Blu-Ray is backed by more studios than HD-DVD at the moment
HD DVD = Paramount, Studio Canal, Universal, Warner, the Weinstein Company, DreamWorks Animation

Blu Ray = Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Warner, Lions Gate

It's pretty much even.

Anyway, I hope Blu Ray wins because it is the better format, so Im not here advocating that HD DVD is better. But I do think it will win in the long run.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Heheh I love this for some reason:

CNET recommends

If you're on any kind of a budget and still want to enjoy the beauty of high-definition movies on disc, you'll have to decide between HD DVD and Blu-ray. The question now becomes: which is the horse to bet on? At this point in September 2007, from the perspective of the editors at CNET, the answer is still: neither. As much as we enjoy watching HD movies, we think the industry's failure to offer a single DVD successor makes it impossible to recommend either of the two rival contenders. As such, CNET is recommending that you refrain from buying any Blu-ray or HD DVD player--or movies--in the immediate future. We'll revisit this opinion as soon as events warrant.

HD DVD = Paramount, Studio Canal, Universal, Warner, the Weinstein Company, DreamWorks Animation

Blu Ray = Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Warner, Lions Gate

It's pretty much even.

Anyway, I hope Blu Ray wins because it is the better format, so Im not here advocating that HD DVD is better. But I do think it will win in the long run.
That's not a proper list

Blu-Ray has far more than that, I saw a list not so long ago, I'll post it here when I find it

masta247

Staff member
when HVD becomes available at a reasonable price blu-ray and hd dvd wont even matter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
"However, holographic drives are projected to initially cost around US$15,000, and a single disc around US$120–180, although prices are expected to fall steadily.[4] The market for this format is not initially the common consumer, but enterprises with very large storage needs."

It won't be popular in at least 10 years if it ever will be.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
That's not a proper list

Blu-Ray has far more than that, I saw a list not so long ago, I'll post it here when I find it
It is the proper list, but then you get Sony which splits into Sony and Columbia (and even their Searchlight studios and whatever out small indepenent studios they have), which I guess makes the list seem bigger for you, but officially they're just Sony and the studios that support HDDVD can be split down too.

Trust me, its the official list. A lot of studios jumped ship from Blu to HDDVD which may also be throwing you.

By the end of 2007 it will look like this, 330 titles on HD and 360 on Blu.

That is pretty much even.

masta247

Staff member
By the end of 2007 it will look like this, 330 titles on HD and 360 on Blu.

That is pretty much even.
So I think both standards will be in use and we will see more players using both standards in one like now it's with dvd-rw and dvd+rw.

Anyway I prefer blu-ray as it's better and used in ps3 which I'm planning to buy :)

PuffnScruff

"However, holographic drives are projected to initially cost around US$15,000, and a single disc around US$120–180, although prices are expected to fall steadily.[4] The market for this format is not initially the common consumer, but enterprises with very large storage needs."

It won't be popular in at least 10 years if it ever will be.
oh it will be popular there is no doubt about that. companies will love this the HVD and it wont even take 10 years. give it less than 5. prices drop fast on consumer electronics these days. lcd's and plasmas used to cost a shit load of money but now i can get lcd t.v. for a couple hundred bucks

masta247

Staff member
oh it will be popular there is no doubt about that. companies will love this the HVD and it wont even take 10 years. give it less than 5. prices drop fast on consumer electronics these days. lcd's and plasmas used to cost a shit load of money but now i can get lcd t.v. for a couple hundred bucks
I seriously doubt that.
LCD is a totally different technology. Most brands were investing in it for nearly 40 years, it was released to the public after 25 years, nearly 15 years ago but it was expensive as hell. Still that technology has many downfalls and always will have. It's just they put too much money in it to switch it with better technologies which in fact have been ready to introduce like 5-7 years ago.
LCD and plasma has it's monopoly right now and we won't get anything better untill they won't get their invested money back.
By the way to build for example a 32 inch lcd tv with s-pva based matrix they spend not more than 50$ (And still it's a Samsung based s-pva matrix while most computer displays use matrixes from AUO or CMO produced in Taiwan).. it's a cheap technology, they don't even care much when constructing them (that's why each display has irregular backlighting and other construction flaws). The price drops because it's so cheap and because it's a weak technology but it still remains high (more than 10times of what it's worth) because many people buy it now as it's popular and has no alternative (they don't let it be). It's a golden deal for companies selling it.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
There difference is LCD has a lot of applications, from home entertainment to car products to computers to photoframes to phone screens etc etc.

HVD doesnt really have that many, and really, who the hell needs a disc that holds 3TB of data? No film studio will release anything that big, nor will any game company, for years to come. So whats the point?

You want a 30GB high def movie and then every single trailer ever released for any movie from that studio on one disc? Those things can fit a years worth of footage. Why?

HVD will stay in the data sector for a while, ten years at least, for data back up and storage purposes. No body needs 3000 gigs at home.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.