Building The Wall.

Tha_Wood

Underboss
Staff member
Why is there so much pushback against it? Because it's expensive? Because it's racist? I don't see the issue really. If it is because it's a waste of money I don't see the problem. The government wastes so much money what's a wall in the grand scheme of things. Also i don't buy that it's racist. Is it mostly because it's a Donald Trump idea?

masta247

Staff member
The illegal crossings, immigration and smuggling happen almost exclusively through the regulated entry ports. The consensus seems to be that the wall wouldn't help much, if at all, even if fully built.
And it wouldn't be fully built. The $5 billion was meant for a 100-mile section of the wall. That's largely symbolic to fulfill a campaign promise and as far as money is concerned, it's not just regular "wasting" with the amounts they are talking about. That tiny wall section they were fighting over is almost twice the budget of all American National Parks, or close to the annual budget of FBI (the actual national security budget). It's also about enough to connect fiber optic internet infrastructure to every home in 10 large cities, from scratch. While there are no accurate estimates, to fully wall the US-Mexico border would cost at least 35 times as much - about $70 billion. That's a lot of money for what seems to have no true benefits and would make for a rather embarrassing monument - the longest man-made object on earth that also serves little to no purpose.

The wall is largely a psychological barrier to calm American fear of terrorism and decreasing crime safety - occurrences that are in reality purely internal issues (not border control issues). It's Americans (and legal immigrants) behind almost all major incidents so far. I don't think it's a Trump issue, although I have no idea how he managed to actually mix up those issues with illegal immigration through the unsecured border crossings with Mexico. It's a completely unrelated solution to a bunch of real problems that are much more difficult to solve. I don't think anyone said the wall is racist though, I don't know why would they. It's just a pointless expense.

I never followed American politics, I wasn't really interested in Trump. The situation is currently very amusing though, so I've been following it. I live in Canada and I deal with American businesses occasionally. It was hilarious to receive e-mails stating something isn't operational because the government got shut down. I didn't even think it's possible for a government to shut down out of nowhere and I'd be freaking out if it happened wherever I lived. I would think it's something I'd hear during some doomsday event or something, not because the president is arguing over a border wall.

Last edited:

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
The illegal crossings, immigration and smuggling happen almost exclusively through the regulated entry ports. The consensus seems to be that the wall wouldn't help much, if at all, even if fully built.
And it wouldn't be fully built. The $5 billion was meant for a 100-mile section of the wall. That's largely symbolic to fulfill a campaign promise and as far as money is concerned, it's not just regular "wasting" with the amounts they are talking about. That tiny wall section they were fighting over is almost twice the budget of all American National Parks, or close to the annual budget of FBI (the actual national security budget). It's also about enough to connect fiber optic internet infrastructure to every home in 10 large cities, from scratch. While there are no accurate estimates, to fully wall the US-Mexico border would cost at least 35 times as much - about $70 billion. That's a lot of money for what seems to have no true benefits and would make for a rather embarrassing monument - the longest man-made object on earth that also serves little to no purpose.

The wall is largely a psychological barrier to calm American fear of terrorism and decreasing crime safety - occurrences that are in reality purely internal issues (not border control issues). It's Americans (and legal immigrants) behind almost all major incidents so far. I don't think it's a Trump issue, although I have no idea how he managed to actually mix up those issues with illegal immigration through the unsecured border crossings with Mexico. It's a completely unrelated solution to a bunch of real problems that are much more difficult to solve. I don't think anyone said the wall is racist though, I don't know why would they. It's just a pointless expense.

I never followed American politics, I wasn't really interested in Trump. The situation is currently very amusing though, so I've been following it. I live in Canada and I deal with American businesses occasionally. It was hilarious to receive e-mails stating something isn't operational because the government got shut down. I didn't even think it's possible for a government to shut down out of nowhere and I'd be freaking out if it happened wherever I lived. I would think it's something I'd hear during some doomsday event or something, not because the president is arguing over a border wall.

There have been shutdowns in the past but not for as long or over something like a wall before. It was certainly unprecedented this time, because of the length and the topic over which it was shut down.

I don't think the wall will do anything and you gave the reasons why. Companies love the cheap/free labor from people that come here with nothing so there's no reason for them to not "employ" these illegals. Plus, it's not like they don't send their manufacturing overseas either, so what good will a wall do there?

People are also amped up about crime rates of these illegals. I don't have information on that but I think the numbers are still much higher, and percentages too, of Americans committing crimes against other Americans.

As Masta said, the amount of money to build a relatively tiny wall could be better used on improving our country in other ways. The wall won't do shit but it'd be great to see it put in to infrastructure or even those Parks departments that Masta mentioned. Something to enrich the country.

I don't know what the solution is to people crossing the border illegally. I realize there may be an uptick in the number trying to cross because many South American countries are going through crises and they're looking to escape but the flip side of Trump's argument are idiots that want the concept of borders completely absolved and consider borders to be man-made and racist.

People arguing for the wall point to the crimes committed in European countries that have granted asylum to migrants, like Sweden and Germany and, I guess, France. Those numbers might be true or might be exaggerated but the alt-right here in the US really loves to harp on those crime stats which makes me question just how bad they really are.

I think Trump was asking for 5 billion this time around? I don't know about the 70 billion number but it just seems pointless either way. I'm all for increasing border security of any country but not by the means of a wall. In the end, I don't think it's going to happen. If Donnie is done after 2020, I think that all but guarantees it won't happen. If he gets a second term, then I think 8 years of his dick slapping might get some part of the wall built but we'll always look back at how pointless it was for him to grand stand over the Wall and ignore every other issue this country faced in that time.

dilla

So now that it seems there was no collusion by Trump, anyone taking bets on another four years with this guy?

yak pac fatal

since the day he started running for presidency he has brought a lot of entertainment to me for that reason i want him to win again lmao during his presidency so many people on both sides of the spectrum have been exposed as racist.

time to get rid of the democrat and republican gangs

political system is a joke

Jokerman

This really makes no difference. His supporters don't care what he does or what "the secret state" says he did, and those with a mind know who he is and how unqualified he is to be President and will not overlook the myriad investigations on him and the obvious corruption. So this changes no one's vote.

Jon

Capo Di Capi Re
Every country seems to understand what Masta247 aptly stated except a faction of the United States.

The wall itself isn't racist, it's Trump's inference that the wall is necessary because everyone in Mexico is a criminal rapist looking to cross the border to pillage, the irony being that American Imperialism does just that.

"I Could Stand In the Middle Of Fifth Avenue And Shoot Somebody And I Wouldn't Lose Any Voters" <- What does that quote say about the United States voting population and justice system to other countries?

dilla

lul Boris Johnson

I dunno the guy or much about him aside from the jokes The Grand Tour and John Oliver crack about him but Reddit is having a meltdown in the comments.

masta247

Staff member
lul Boris Johnson

I dunno the guy or much about him aside from the jokes The Grand Tour and John Oliver crack about him but Reddit is having a meltdown in the comments.
I just now discovered who that is, but it looks like he is like an even more retarded version of Trump.
Googling him brings up his "top quote" - apparently, he said that he is more likely to become reincarnated as an olive than become prime minister, lmfao.
What's up with once decent countries electing.. these?

dilla

I just now discovered who that is, but it looks like he is like an even more retarded version of Trump.
Googling him brings up his "top quote" - apparently, he said that he is more likely to become reincarnated as an olive than become prime minister, lmfao.
What's up with once decent countries electing.. these?

People get up in arms about who gets voted in but....people are voting them in. People to your left and right on the train or bus are voting one way or another. It's just that more people are voting for someone instead of the other and the fans of "the other" are upset about it. People are agreeing and hanging their hopes on people that are promising "their country" first, even if it means you gotta break some eggs to get their metaphorical omelet.

One sane comment on Reddit that I saw, though I don't know how solid of a theory it is, is that in 2012 someone predicted that globalism was going to usher in an era of very conservative leaders. That maybe things grew too far and too wide that we couldn't adapt to it fast enough. And the people that saw their quality of life drop in that period were going to be the ones that push an election one way or another.

I don't know how true it is but in my very limited interactions with the real world since 2016, I think most people are digging their heels in on their stances and their stance is influenced by misinformation. Myself included. I think there are very few people who know what is truly going on, what is going to happen, etc. and are approaching it from a real partisan viewpoint. I haven't met those people in person but with the media and social media fanning the flames (again, with misinformation) I think we're just seeing false, exaggerated, or reactionary information being posted as news and we have people that react out of ignorance in the comments.

It's not exactly political, but did you hear about a congresswoman (black) who claimed she was told to "go back to where you came from by a white man man at a grocery store? She made a video and it went viral. They found the guy who allegedly said this and he had a completely different story. The congresswoman has since walked back some of the things she claimed the man said and the dude that got interviewed also looks like a tool. But the media had a field day with it because it echoed a similar statement Trump said about two weeks ago and the media wanted those clicks. Instead, it's really just a story of an inconsiderate woman in politics who hid behind her pregnancy to do something shitty and a white man (who now claims he is a democrat and Cuban) who called out a woman for having 11 items in a "10 items or less" lane and chose to die on that hill.

People ate that shit up. Social media blasted the man. Then his side came out and the people who think every hate crime reported is fake and non-whites just make it all up came out with her retraction as ammo for their arguments.

It's like watching two retards try to fuck a doorknob and no one can just say they're both stupid people that don't know how to act in public.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.