DPG - Dogg Pound Reunited

Caesar

Staff member
Note: During our various upgrades over the years certain interviews have been "misplaced." We are now adding them back to our archives. This interview was first published in 2007.

The Dogg Pound was one of the most successful and popular groups coming out of the West Coast in the mid-90s, along with Snoop Dogg, Daz and Kurupt helped shaped the “gangsta” sound. But conflict between the two led to a break up and very public feud. Putting their problems behind them, Daz and Kurupt are back together, reunited and rejuvenated and ready to lead the West Coast rebound. DPG give StreetHop.com readers a bite of their Dogg Food.

You guys had your much publicized conflict over the past few years where the DPG broke up and some heated words and tracks were exchanged, its good to see you guys put that behind you, how did the reunion come about?

Kurupt: Well basically, Snoop led the parade on it, and then Daz took it over from there. April 1st was our official was our official date getting back together so its been a year, we had our year anniversary cracking on April 1st. But basically everyone got tired of the bullshit man, and when word got out that you know, each individual wanted to chop it up and put that shit behind us and fly and we met and we didn't even talk about it. You know, when we met back up everybody already knew this is why we're getting back together because we're putting this bullshit behind us. So when we met we didnt even communicate about the bullshit it was like to going from making Doggfood to the next year getting on the next DoggPound album. Thats what it was like, it was like none of that time that we missed was even there.

Right now the feeling is that the West Coast is definitely coming back, what do you want your position to be in the new movement?

Daz Dillinger: I want to be a leader in this West Coast movement, in terms of opening up doors for people and business, all that type of stuff you know what Im saying? Cause I fuck with anybody, Ill talk to them for a second just to hear their conversation and if they got the right conversation and they ready to move something and to believe in themselves Im with it.

How do you feel about the new artists coming up from the West?
Daz: They repping it real tough, they just gotta get out there on the forefront, get out there and make it happen, make some noise.

I know you guys had the DPG-Unit, what is your alliance with G-Unit and do you have any ill feelings towards The Game?

Daz: Nah I aint got any ill feelings towards Game I have ill feelings towards (G-Unit Records artist) Spider Loc. He be dissing us and shit, disrespecting us, disrespecting me, I mean I dont really know him, but Im just like “hey, I aint tripping 'cause your BOSS is gonna pay us!” <Laughs> You know what I mean? My album is gone come out before he does. I aint got no bad feelings towards Game, Ive got good feelings towards the new movement we doing, and I aint gone let no other bullshit get in the way.

So you're beef free and moving forward.

Daz: Yeah beef free and I make my own space, but if the beef come, I got a butcher knife for their ass.

Are you guys going to tour soon?

Daz: Yeah we're gonna go on tour with Ice Cube and then after that Imma get my passport and we headed out there man!

Kurupt: I might come out there before me and Daz come, but we gone be there man!

Daz I hear you got a movie on the way?

Daz: Yeah you know that Ice Cube album, Death Certificate, that song Summer Vacation? Imma make that song a movie come to life, my real experience with me and my homies out in St Louis, I feel like I can make it come together. Im gonna put it out straight to DVD and Imma keep doing films just like Im doing albums and start my film career. I picture myself like Ice Cube, Im trying to go the same route.

Kurupt: Yeah and Ive got Halfpast Dead 2 with Goldberg the wrestler, and also the Dogg Pound movie that Snoop is putting together.

Daz you have the So So Gangsta album coming out on So So Def, and you guys have the group album, Kurupt, when can we expect a new solo?

Kurupt: It's coming out soon, Daz and I produced the Young Gotti album, you might as well call it Streetz Iz A Mutha 2 man, I got that heat for you. Each album that me and Daz is dropping you gonna find a different vibe and records you can relate to from our past. My Young Gotti album, me and Daz patterned right after Streetz Iz A Mutha on that hardcore fly tip, just hitting 'em heavy. This is a new millennium West Coast album, its just new millennium futuristic music, West Coast lyrics, West Coast sound, collaborate with Down South, with the East Coast, with the North, all of it all in one is a Dogg Pound album, we're universal now.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.