Technology Having a PlayStation3 with a LCD HD Television

I have just bought a Large flat LCD HD Television for use with my playstation 3.

the television i had before was just a small portable 14inch screen and i got tired of people sniping me on COD6, when watching kill cams and wondering how the hell did they see me, i decided it was time to upgrade to a bigger television.

i connected my new television to the PS3 and it works fine, but here's the problem is that i am still using the old connector cable that i did with the previous television i had, which is the SCART connector with the three coloured cables.

at the moment i have the SCART socket connected to the television with just the Yellow plug-cable, the yellow plug just feeds the picture to the television. the other 2 cables are Audio Wires and i have them re-routed and connected into the back of my home cinema surround sound stereo.

now since that i have a HD television i would like also to have a proper HDMI cable connecting the PS3 to the Television. my question is that if i changed to having a HDMI Cable would that mean that i would have to also forfeit the Audio through my surround sound, meaning that if i had a HDMI cable would that mean that i would get both Picture and Sound through the television?

or, as a possible solution, would i have to re-rout the Audio from the Television back to my surround sound amplifier?

DarkPhantom13

Staff member
You can set up your PS3 to output video thru the hdmi straight to your tv and output audio thru the original red/white audio cable that the ps3 came with.

You can set up your PS3 to output video thru the hdmi straight to your tv and output audio thru the original red/white audio cable that the ps3 came with.

ok, so does the hdmi cable run from one of the USB ports?

otherwise idk, will have to check the connections on the back of the ps3 tomorrow

any hdmi cable'll will work. i bought a 5 dollar cable off of amazon since the higher the price doesnt mean that its better.

thnx, i haven't gotten as far as looking at the back of my PS3 yet, all i know is that i need a hdmi cable lolz.

looks like i will be able to hook up the PS3 to the Television with the HDMI cable, and still have the AV Multi Out feeding the Audio to my surround sound amplifier.
if not i will have to buy new cables and re-route the audio out of the television and into the amplifier.

maybe i should do that anyway to get HD Sound fed through my amplifier, that is if the HDMI cable supports HD Audio also as well as picture quality.

no i don't anymore sofi, i have just upgraded to a bigger television.

i have the whole set up now, on top of the range. just need the right cables to connect it all up

DarkPhantom13

Staff member
looks like i will be able to hook up the PS3 to the Television with the HDMI cable, and still have the AV Multi Out feeding the Audio to my surround sound amplifier.
if not i will have to buy new cables and re-route the audio out of the television and into the amplifier.
I already told you that you CAN set it up so hdmi is video and av is sound.

^

ok.

that's awesome, now i have the best of both connections, plus i got audio sound through the television as well as my amplifier

masta247

Staff member
I bought myself a hd tv also but I have to say the LCD technology is still too imperfect. Motion blur is annoying on S-PVA (Samsung/Sony panels) while blacks and real contrast levels are annoying on S-IPS panels.
100/120/200/240hz motion processing looks too unnatural and is not a long-term solution.

On the other hand I can't stand Plasma and crt flickering.

Apart from the motion blur and jaggies or unnatural motion games look awesome on LCDs.

the picture quality is amazing with LCD HDMI televisions.

the first LCD displays i saw were on digital watches and displayed only black and white colours. LCD technology has come a long way since then.

i'm still wondering how LCD technology works and if they work on pixels as older televisions do

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.