The Headphones/Speakers thread

Preach

Holy shit you guys got technical for self-proclaimed non-audiophiles :p

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I don't use them much right now or for the past year, but they will be put back into rotation.

For gaming / voice comm I have a pair of Arctis 7 from Steelseries. Kinda bummed I didn't go for the Wireless HD.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro's for tracking while recording audio. They are closed-back and have good passive noise reduction in that they are almost like hearing protectors with headphones inside.

I also have a set of Steelseries Siberia 800. They used to be what I use for gaming / voice com, now I actually use them for wireless monitoring of my guitar rig when I dial in guitar tones, or for A/B'ing stuff. Or previewing stuff. Then I disconnect them and send the signal to speakers. I have a pair of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PwrCab112Pls--line-6-powercab-112-plus-active-guitar-speaker

They are FRFR speakers in guitar cabinet format. I have two that I run in stereo. They are probably my "best" sound output of them all. The quality is really nice. Due to how they are constructed with a tweeter in the upper right corner and the mainspeaker in the middle but a little down and to the left,, they aren't good for actual stereo image representation. It's close enough that I can't audibly tell that the stereo imagine isn't perfect, so good enough for everyday use. They are guitar amps really, they just happen to sound awesome as studio monitors and hifi speakers. After getting into guitar playing I've come to have a deep appreciation for how sound behaves in a space. Moving around in a room with headphones and having the sound come out exactly the same wherever you go feels weird now that I've gotten used to speakers that have a field. When sound waves bounce around in your room there'll be spots where they cancel eachother out, and there'll be points where you'll have resonances, so that moving around in the room while sound is being produced by a speaker in a static position is actually a dynamic experience. With headphones it becomes static. I've come to realize that headphones are unrealistic by their very nature, and that they're like a smokescreen or something. An induced illusion. They're still superior for certain specific tasks though, like comparing one piece of audio with another. Another important part of the experience of sound is the physical effect sound waves have on your sensory nerves. You don't only hear sound, you feel it. That part of the experience also falls short when using headphones. There are no moving air molecules hitting your body in thousands of waves per second. With headphones, you hear the sound, but you don't feel it. I'm doing all I can to get away from a cerebral lifestyle. I want to feel the music, not just hear it. I want my brain and body to act and react in tandem.

Last edited:

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Bruh, I broke and got the XM3s. Let me explain, though.

My dad had to make a few purchases back in November and Best Buy was being retardedly stupid with their deals on TVs and their setup process/installation so my dad bought a few TVs for the business (replacing 15 year old, 28-32" plasmas lol) and figured he'd get the additional discount from opening a Best Buy card.

So for doing that, he got $250ish in Best Buy rewards. And forgot about them. But I am a coon and I knew they were there and they were set to expire after three months, i.e a few days back. So I just asked a few days before expiration if anyone was going to use them. Maybe my sister would want some stuff for her Switch or my parents wanted to add a new Ring camera to the new setup they just got. Nope.

So I just bummed it and got the XM3s lol.

Now I will seriously look to sell either my Logitechs or my Beats Solo3s and just stick to one wireless set and one in ear wired ones for use on the go (1More Triple drivers).

So far they've been amazing. It blocks out a tower fan in my room and the sound of my eGPU on my desk, which is pretty loud. I can't even hear myself snapping my fingers in front of my face.

Pretty sure with the sale of the Beats, I'd have gotten these cans for free, or close to it.

THEV1LL4N

Bruh, I broke and got the XM3s. Let me explain, though.

My dad had to make a few purchases back in November and Best Buy was being retardedly stupid with their deals on TVs and their setup process/installation so my dad bought a few TVs for the business (replacing 15 year old, 28-32" plasmas lol) and figured he'd get the additional discount from opening a Best Buy card.

So for doing that, he got $250ish in Best Buy rewards. And forgot about them. But I am a coon and I knew they were there and they were set to expire after three months, i.e a few days back. So I just asked a few days before expiration if anyone was going to use them. Maybe my sister would want some stuff for her Switch or my parents wanted to add a new Ring camera to the new setup they just got. Nope.

So I just bummed it and got the XM3s lol.

Now I will seriously look to sell either my Logitechs or my Beats Solo3s and just stick to one wireless set and one in ear wired ones for use on the go (1More Triple drivers).

So far they've been amazing. It blocks out a tower fan in my room and the sound of my eGPU on my desk, which is pretty loud. I can't even hear myself snapping my fingers in front of my face.

Pretty sure with the sale of the Beats, I'd have gotten these cans for free, or close to it.
What's next on your tech shopping list for family or business purposes? lol

dilla

What's next on your tech shopping list for family or business purposes? lol

lol I know, our family has been splurging but their business has been growing, or my dad has branched out in to different sectors, so there's definitely a lot of money being spent. I just get involved for the tech stuff and this is probably the only place where I can discuss it with people that care about that stuff. Reddit doesn't count since it's too wide open and people can be chodes. At least Masta explains the dumb-dumb stuff to me about tech and it's a judgement free zone for all of us lol

But as for future expenditures, I think we're done. Home security was a big deal for us as we were paying ADT $70+ a month for monitoring and we took that out with the Ring system and self-monitoring. We sprinkled some smart bulbs in our outdoor fixtures, so that took out the need for getting a whole different set up that allowed central control of lighting. Now they're just on simple timers using Kasa/Home/Lifx,etc. I got the headphones for myself but of course that gift card bonus basically bore the burden of that purchase.

Our doorbell took a shit years ago and I know my parents wanted a Ring doorbell for that, so once there's a deal on that, I'll pounce.

A lot of the expenditures get sweetened a bit because of cash back deals from sites like eBates and such. Dell and Lenovo stores frequently have sales on their websites but then these sites tack on another 10-15% in cash back deals. I know that's how we updated the computers at the clinic all in one go because of deals like that. Simple, dinky laptops but still not as much damage as getting them from Best Buy or something.

dilla

https://www.soundguys.com/apple-beats-powerbeats-pro-review-23562/

This might be the beginning of Beats headphones going beyond just fashion accessories in the audio world. The Beats Solo3s already had some high praise two years ago, though the price was always an issue, as it is with all Beats headphones. But since there's this big push for wireless headphones in the past few years, it looks like Beats was already there before the fad hit.

And these guys aren't the only ones heaping praise on the Beats Pro.

dilla

Saw a deal for the Jabra 65t refurb on Rakuten, so I ended up getting them for my mom. Should be here tomorrow. $56 shipped, so not a bad deal. I don't think she'll mind the differences or miss them between the Galaxy Buds and these. I know the Buds might integrate better with a fellow Samsung device but that also means teaching her to utilize those features properly, which is just not gonna happen lol

But these are highly rated buds, or were until the 75t came out, for Android users. The Powerbeats Pro were rated the best for Apple/iOS users because of that W1 chip.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.