What are you listening to now?

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Have your rap tastes changed a lot over the years? Do you even listen to rap now?

For me, rap is still the go-to genre, but of course my tastes have expanded.

Lately, I find myself going back to the rap I listened to when I was in high school - Tupac, Jay, Mobb Deep, DMX, etc. Obviously, all the stuff that had dropped by the time I was in high school - not a lot of new shit I like from Em, for example.

As far as some of the post-Kendrick new school rappers, I don't like a lot of it. I'm a big fan of Lil Baby, Saint Jhn, 6lack, IDK, and JID, but it's not enough to sustain me, if that makes sense.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I can’t say I listen to any of the new school sound.

Griselda maybe as they have an old school sound? I actually liked Pop Smoke because while it was new style song structure at least it wasn’t mumble rap. Would have been interesting to see him develop as an artist.

I do like new releases though so I kind of gravitate to new music from older artists. I can’t really replay an old catalogue much apart from a few select artists when in the mood.

I’m hoping Method Man releases a new album, he’s had the best verse of the year so far.

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
I can’t say I listen to any of the new school sound.

Griselda maybe as they have an old school sound? I actually liked Pop Smoke because while it was new style song structure at least it wasn’t mumble rap. Would have been interesting to see him develop as an artist.

I do like new releases though so I kind of gravitate to new music from older artists. I can’t really replay an old catalogue much apart from a few select artists when in the mood.

I’m hoping Method Man releases a new album, he’s had the best verse of the year so far.
What Meth verse Mike?

ARon

I still listen to a lot of rap but I'm not in too many newer rappers, we listen to a lot of the same stuff. Of course JID dreamville and them get a lot of play. Reasons album was ok. Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats little album was dope, I have that on vinyl actually. Freddie Gibbs is still always solid. If I'm feeling backpacky I'll go check out mellow music group. I listen to Boogie a lot. I'm more on some rbish lately. Brent Faiyaz saying if you aint nasty don't @ me is my shit. I've been listening to a lot of UK rap too. I don't know too much about the scene there but I like Kojey Radical and Dave a lot. I know a good amount of other rappers that have been around a while but the UK puts out much better newer music in my opinion. Almost forgot about Little Simz, she's so fucking good. Might as well mention Rapsody too, she can rap.

I've been showing my little niece a lot of older stuff so that's been fun. Right now she really likes I can't stand the rain and sock it to me so I'm digging that.

Last edited:

Jokerman

I listen to favorite songs, not so much artists. Thanks to streaming services, I listen to everything I've ever liked as the mood strikes. But some newer songs I listen to come from these artists:

070 Shake
Hayley Williams
Against All Logic
Cardi B
YFN Lucci
Saweetie
Gregory Porter
Dua Lipa
Selena Gomez
TeaMarrr
Lil Baby & Gunna
Smino
Jidenna
SiR

Polo G
Post Malone
Roddy Ricch

THEV1LL4N

I've been listening to some of:

The Roots
Warren G
Anderson .Paak
Cookin' Soul
MC Melodee

I'm so behind on all the "new" releases since like 2017 up until the present day.

Da_Funk

I never listen to albums these days. That said, I had the house to myself tonight and after a few vodka's I threw on and listened to the entire fort minor album (I have no idea why this one); I have to to say, it's fucking sick. Even today I still really like a lot of the songs.

I hardly listen to rap these days. Like everyone else, I listen to a medley of genres and picking just one is impossible. For whatever reason I've been listening to a lot of acoustic covers of rock songs lately. These two have been my jams lately:

My usual defaults include:
-Camp Cope
-Daughter
-Gregory Alan Isakov
-Ball Park Music
-Damien Jurado
-The Paper Kites
-The Midnight
-Hands like Houses
-Luca Abrasi
-Middle Kids
-Skeggs
-Dune Rats
-Tash Sultana

We used to have a thread where we'd post a song. We should revive that.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I still listen to hip hop but what I consider new is 10 years old

Mostly listening to 60s bands or podcasts at the moment. Although I've started an MSc and I find listening to classical or instrumentals focuses my mind

Edit - not sure what emoji I put in here. But it's obviously not supported, and what appeared did not make sense

Last edited:

Da_Funk

I still listen to hip hop but what I consider new is 10 years old ‍♂️

Mostly listening to 60s bands or podcasts at the moment. Although I've started an MSc and I find listening to classical or instrumentals focuses my mind
What's the Masters in? Course work or research based?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
New Busta is good. Long and full of good features. Weird Mariah Carey duet. It's a good album
I tried listening to it yesterday in the car and just couldn’t really get into it at all. Just get jarring somehow and any time I started vibing Chris Rock started yelling at me.

MaroC

capt'n fruity
I kinda stopped listening to rap in general. All my favorite rappers stopped dropping good music 20 years ago and I wasnt feeling the new generation either. But the last 3 years I really got into Soolking. Dude keeps on dropping gems every month the whole year round.

He recently dropped this master piece:

And within a couple of weeks he already has another one out:

If this dude sang/rapped in English he was the world's biggest artist by now.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.