Should we talk about why we're still here?

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Just now seeing this. I don’t feel like you got the brunt of the blame? I pissed Jeremy off one day because I said he still lived at home so he gave my pix to Morgan who posted them. I thought Eric had recruited him to hate me because he felt spurned. I don’t quite remember but everyone involved has since apologized. If anything your involvement was just being an instigator of drama lol. Or maybe there was some slut shaming involved I don’t even remember. Which is wild because aside from being a teen mom I am really fucking boring and I always have been. A large chunk of my 20s I was celibate so it is funny my online persona was a little slut.
I don't remember clearly either what it was. I just know I got sent the pics and then forgot about them. I was going through one of my throwaway email addresses from high school that I still use and went all the way back to 03 or 04 when it was first created and started reading sent messages and the inbox. I still have the emails I sent my sister, who was 9 at the time, about my first few weeks of college. Every day chronicled and asking about the dogs and stuff.

And then those pics showed up lol.

A shrewd observer might observe that out of some 10-30k+ members that used to frequent HitEmUp.com and StreetHop.com in the glory days, we're about 3-12 of us that keep coming back. Keco, Jokerman, dilla, Pittsey, me, Tha Massive Bell, k69atie, and a few others. I know Eric and Big Flipp came back like one evening after 12 years then disappeared again. In fact, in my time, I think I've observed Eric "coming back" like 3 times since 2010+, only to disappear within a week. I just chalk it up to the way you'll meet an old aquaintance when you're out drinking, and you both decide like "yeah we should totally hang out some time" and then you wake up the next day and it never happens. No judgment.

But this thread is not about that. I'm basically wondering why we keep coming back. I was never a "figure" in the "social" part of the 2Pac scene. The whole "Traz" thing had been going on for years before I ever even ventured into My Block. At some point I feel like I got to know a lot of people on here, but I don't feel like I'm a "good representation" of the most active era. No offense, but... I don't feel any of the people I mentioned earlier are either, except maybe Pittsey, dilla and Jokerman. You guys were "figures" back then, and you still are now... at least to me. But why do we all keep coming back to this God-forsaken place? And why does Rukas keep it going? I don't mean to be asking hard questions, I don't want it to end, but I keep coming back to this question in my thoughts. What is it about "us" that makes us.... "us"? And why do we still come back here like once every two weeks? I've been through so many transcendent periods of my life where I grew as a person and as a human being. But I never outgrew this. Why?

Let me go first. Even though I'm living it, I am still terrified of life. If I could go back to MSN chats and forum posts being my social life, and never have to deal with humans, I would do it in an instant. I'm 36 now and still unmarried. Although not quite true I'm also damn near unfucked. Dealing with people on the day-to-day is so difficult some times. But I miss having a girlfriend, which I've had for like 7 of those 36 years. Best years of my life, but every time I meet a new chick I like I start feeling like "this is gonna end up with some bullshit". I don't think I'm an incel, because I don't feel angry. But I never managed to cope with life the way most people seem to be able to. Same time, I don't feel like that's true for every one of you. I reckon Pittsey's a baller. So whatever brings me back here doesn't have to do with my lack of social skills and social motivation, because to the best of my knowledge, some of you are out there doing it. So whatever I got in common with you is not that. So then, what is it? Why do we come back? Also, how are you guys doing in your life?
We come back because we all know that Tupac Shakur was the most prolific artist in well over a century...100 years+. He made it a point to speak the truth to his young fans; and since his voice was silenced free speach hasn't made a come back. Its time one of us rises to the occasion. Its time for us to become Activists if not Revolutionary's... just not safe on the interwebss. HMU at Twitter #SuntzuOG. I love ya Preach.

Its time for us to become Activists if not Revolutionary's... .
What and how do we fight a war of information in this 4th 5th generation warfare? :)

*** Everyone pull a Gandhi. Starve..... the beast. Relatively easy activism but destitute is worse than death in this society. :(

Last edited:

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Or maybe there was some slut shaming involved I don’t even remember. Which is wild because aside from being a teen mom I am really fucking boring and I always have been. A large chunk of my 20s I was celibate so it is funny my online persona was a little slut.
I didn't get involved in any of the drama here. Back in the early 2000s I figured that everyone on the internet would be some kind of dork

TheCat

I was not the most active posting member. But I recognise a lot of the names here. I miss message forums like this. People actually read each others posts, instead of just forwarding random memes and news. I am impressed this forum is still active, what an amazing effort you lot did keeping this alive and well.. I feel bad for almost forgetting my youthful days here.

dilla

I was not the most active posting member. But I recognise a lot of the names here. I miss message forums like this. People actually read each others posts, instead of just forwarding random memes and news. I am impressed this forum is still active, what an amazing effort you lot did keeping this alive and well.. I feel bad for almost forgetting my youthful days here.
I think forums will make a comeback soon. With social media sites like Reddit starting to clamp down with stricter rules on what can be posted and discussed, I think we'll come full-circle to forums again.

TheCat

I think forums will make a comeback soon. With social media sites like Reddit starting to clamp down with stricter rules on what can be posted and discussed, I think we'll come full-circle to forums again.
I see your point. But I think the disclaimers came because of the numbers of users with discussions groups or forums. I think when a site or application attracts millions of users, that's when filters get inforced because the outrage is larger. Just my two cents.

Social Media is like fake online retail reviews.

PBS and NPR getting their panties caught in a bunch over "State Media" label. LAWL

The credibility of these machines must be ground to a pulp.

When talkingheads tell me that internet content needs more vetting, I believe the opposite is true.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Social Media is like fake online retail reviews.

PBS and NPR getting their panties caught in a bunch over "State Media" label. LAWL

The credibility of these machines must be ground to a pulp.

When talkingheads tell me that internet content needs more vetting, I believe the opposite is true.

They are all chasing engagement and ad revenue anyway

dilla

I see your point. But I think the disclaimers came because of the numbers of users with discussions groups or forums. I think when a site or application attracts millions of users, that's when filters get inforced because the outrage is larger. Just my two cents.
That's true. But I think forums in the past might have had hundreds or thousands of members, but not the millions or billions that social media sites now have. Forums are/were what subreddits are now, so much smaller, and typically focused on a topic. Hip hop, sports, cars, tech, etc. People might have differing views but not to the point where where regulation had to be the same as social media sites like Reddit or Facebook. At least that's how I feel.

They are all chasing engagement and ad revenue anyway

Yeah, ads ruined everything. It was only a matter of time before they ruined the internet and social media and creep their way back in to media we consume, like music and TV/movies.

If you sit down with geezers and watch cable TV in the US, it's all Big Pharma ads telling you to "ask your doctor" - They're redundant advertisements meant to rule the airwaves.

Good thing the internet is still relatively free.... For now.

gasp @ the horrible things people like Biden, Trump and dirty monks got away before the internet!

oh wait.. they still get away with it. Fuck the System.

Emma

This is a great thread!!

I joined in 2001/2002 when I was 12/13 years old! I love Pac but coming on here wasn’t even about music for me, I had fun speaking to my online friends. I remember when everyone was planning to meet up in Vegas and I remember telling my dad about it, but I was probably only 14/15

I’ve kept in touch with some people from here. Some even keep in touch better than my own real life friends and family.

There’s a few people I’ve lost touch with who I’d love to catch up with, feel free to send me a DM!

Thanks Mike and Jon and everyone else who kept the board running for so long.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.