Technology Android

THEV1LL4N

People with android phones (casey and if there's anyone else) share tips and tricks and other knowledge here.

I was wondering if there are any free office applications where i can read and write word and powerpoint documents.

also does using the 2G network rather than 3G slow down internet speed? (I know it saves battery).

I turned my phone on today only to notice it said "safe mode" in the bottom left hand corner - is this automatically done by the phone or is it that i may have pressed something during startup?

from ebay ive ordered a 3.5mm stereo jack converter for the G1. Hope the sound quality is very good and does not suffer.

ive browsed around the market, but was wondering if anyone knows of anymore cool free apps, games and mobile sites. (possible to create a mobile version of streethop?)

^^isnt the hero rom really slow?

btw Sandeep, my G1 came with the usb to 3.5mm converter. I never used it before, but I tried it out today and it sounds perfectly fine, I dont see why the ones on ebay would drop sq.

As far as u seeing 'safe mode' when u start up, I have no clue why it would do that, I never seen that before

consult Casey for apps, he's always up to date with that shit, he put me on to a bunch of them

THEV1LL4N

^^isnt the hero rom really slow?

btw Sandeep, my G1 came with the usb to 3.5mm converter. I never used it before, but I tried it out today and it sounds perfectly fine, I dont see why the ones on ebay would drop sq.

As far as u seeing 'safe mode' when u start up, I have no clue why it would do that, I never seen that before

consult Casey for apps, he's always up to date with that shit, he put me on to a bunch of them
okay, one question. why didnt i get the converter! i have been ripped off!! lol.

also, i researched it the safe mode, it happens when you hold the "menu" key during reboot. apparently, some have found enabling safe mode a security flaw as it can allow you to skip past the pattern unlocking screen.

I think the hero emulator can cause the G1 to crash because of low ram/memory.

Casey

Staff member
I didn't get the converter either Sandeep.

As for the Hero ROM, I flashed it last week and it was laggy. But they've been working on optimizing it a lot since then. I think in a week or so there will probably be a working version. I'm jealous cos my cousin just got an actual Hero (came out 2 days ago on Orange) and it's super dope.

Sandeep, I believe there are some solutions for Office but they aren't free.

Here's my list of essential apps:

FREE IN ANDROID MARKET:

AK Notepad - great notepad app
Astrid - Cool little "To Do" app that you can set time-based alerts for things you have to do
aTrackDog - will keep track of your installed apps and you can use it to check for updates
beebPlayer - BBC iPlayer client
chompSMS - much better than default SMS client
DroidFTP - guess what this does?
Facebook Contact Sync – syncs your contact with Facebook friends photos (free but not in market, google it)
Gmote - allows you to control your PC from the phone and access files on your PC
HulloMail - the visual voicemail app I had you sign up for the other day
imeem mobile - streaming audio based on keywords, it has it's own widget too, freakin awesome
Last.Fm - same concept as imeem
Linda File Manager - a MUST HAVE file manager app
Lyric Search - self explanatory
Pkt Auctions Ebay - great ebay app
Qik - you can do live vid streams from your phone with this app
Quickpedia - Wikipedia app
Ringdroid - search your database of music on the sdcard & chop out the bits you want to use for ringtones
Shazam - the music recognition app
ShopSavvy - the barcode scanner app that tells you where to get things for the cheapest price
Skype - self explanatory, but not true VOIP as it routes your call through a local number.
Toggle Settings - a quick way of toggling different settings
Tunes Remote - control your iTunes from your phone!
Twidroid
Voice Recorder - self explanatory
wPToGo - Wordpress client

PAID APPS

Advanced Task Manager - lets you kill processes - will send you d/load link cos it costs money

Bloo – native Facebook app

MyBackUpPro - backs up everything on your phone, apps, settings, sms, etc to a file on your sd card.

Power Manager Pro - ESSENTIAL! you can set different things to turn off when your battery drops below a certain point, ie automatically dim the screen below 30% etc

SnapPhoto Pro - the best camera app. Super sick.

THEV1LL4N

I didn't get the converter either Sandeep.

As for the Hero ROM, I flashed it last week and it was laggy. But they've been working on optimizing it a lot since then. I think in a week or so there will probably be a working version. I'm jealous cos my cousin just got an actual Hero (came out 2 days ago on Orange) and it's super dope.

Sandeep, I believe there are some solutions for Office but they aren't free.

Here's my list of essential apps:

FREE IN ANDROID MARKET:

AK Notepad - great notepad app
Astrid - Cool little "To Do" app that you can set time-based alerts for things you have to do
aTrackDog - will keep track of your installed apps and you can use it to check for updates
beebPlayer - BBC iPlayer client
chompSMS - much better than default SMS client
DroidFTP - guess what this does?
Facebook Contact Sync – syncs your contact with Facebook friends photos (free but not in market, google it)
Gmote - allows you to control your PC from the phone and access files on your PC
HulloMail - the visual voicemail app I had you sign up for the other day
imeem mobile - streaming audio based on keywords, it has it's own widget too, freakin awesome
Last.Fm - same concept as imeem
Linda File Manager - a MUST HAVE file manager app
Lyric Search - self explanatory
Pkt Auctions Ebay - great ebay app
Qik - you can do live vid streams from your phone with this app
Quickpedia - Wikipedia app
Ringdroid - search your database of music on the sdcard & chop out the bits you want to use for ringtones
Shazam - the music recognition app
ShopSavvy - the barcode scanner app that tells you where to get things for the cheapest price
Skype - self explanatory, but not true VOIP as it routes your call through a local number.
Toggle Settings - a quick way of toggling different settings
Tunes Remote - control your iTunes from your phone!
Twidroid
Voice Recorder - self explanatory
wPToGo - Wordpress client

PAID APPS

Advanced Task Manager - lets you kill processes - will send you d/load link cos it costs money

Bloo – native Facebook app

MyBackUpPro - backs up everything on your phone, apps, settings, sms, etc to a file on your sd card.

Power Manager Pro - ESSENTIAL! you can set different things to turn off when your battery drops below a certain point, ie automatically dim the screen below 30% etc

SnapPhoto Pro - the best camera app. Super sick.
thanks casey. i was joking about the converter.

ive got a bunch of those apps and will check the others out too. thank you :)

THEV1LL4N

its great to see that after 1 year with android (predominantly on htc phones), it already has around 12% marketshare of smartphone OS's.

google/android have just taken a "bite" of out the apple

Casey

Staff member
Those stats are just based on the G1/HTC Dream as well, which is amazing.

Wait till we get the stats for the HTC Magic/MyTouch3G, the HTC Hero (which is the biggest selling phone in the UK right now), and the Samsung Galaxy which just launched on O2.

Android ftw.

THEV1LL4N

Those stats are just based on the G1/HTC Dream as well, which is amazing.

Wait till we get the stats for the HTC Magic/MyTouch3G, the HTC Hero (which is the biggest selling phone in the UK right now), and the Samsung Galaxy which just launched on O2.

Android ftw.
and how long has windows mobile been out for? theyve done absolutely nothing over all these years. they had their chance to monopolise the smartphone market too.

masta247

Staff member
Agreed. My PDA has Windows mobile 5 I believe and while I was happy at first since so much software was available then I found out that it's a big piece of shit. From my experience only Symbian has been worse.

Casey

Staff member
You gonna get an Android device masta? I know the G1 is available in Poland. But might be worth waiting for the Motorola Sholes which is hitting next month and will be the first device to run Android 2.0.

THEV1LL4N

You gonna get an Android device masta? I know the G1 is available in Poland. But might be worth waiting for the Motorola Sholes which is hitting next month and will be the first device to run Android 2.0.
so i take it, donut is being released within a month or two.

november is just round the corner. didnt realise how quick time has gone. i heard november was just a rumoured date though.

Casey

Staff member

Casey

Staff member
Of course I have. There's a video floating around of it.

MAJOR improvement. Look forward to checking it out.

FYI - Cyanogen is going to release a full Donut mod in the next few days. Apparently Google dropped a whole bunch of new code into the database, and Cyan was able to compile a full 1.6 ROM from it. He's working out the issues and then it will be out. It's apparently even faster and snappier. I'm really looking forward to it.

THEV1LL4N

Of course I have. There's a video floating around of it.

MAJOR improvement. Look forward to checking it out.

FYI - Cyanogen is going to release a full Donut mod in the next few days. Apparently Google dropped a whole bunch of new code into the database, and Cyan was able to compile a full 1.6 ROM from it. He's working out the issues and then it will be out. It's apparently even faster and snappier. I'm really looking forward to it.
at least this time i wont have to back up my apps. but my messages and everything else will be erased again. i need to get mybackup pro for free on google somewhere.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.