Technology Android

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Is there any particular reason you're thinking about the Buds Pro 2? Personally, if I were buying headphones today, I'd probably lean towards the Buds Plus rather than the Buds 2 Pro regardless of the price.

The battery life is far better on the Buds Plus, and they also have an edge in sound quality. While they are nearly the same in terms of the sounds they are capable of outputting, the Buds Plus are tuned to be more true-to-life, while the Buds Pro 2 give you somewhat unnaturally amplified base and treble, at the expense of vocals. You can adjust that in the equalizer, as the drivers are capable of producing essentially the same sounds.

The Buds Plus fit better, so you can more comfortably work out in these - the wingtips ensure that they maintain a firm position in your ear and you don't need to adjust them periodically the way you'd do with the Buds 2 series that are rounder and skimped on the wingtips. The Buds 2 Pro give you very good ANC, but at the expense of those other trade-offs.

You can see here that the Buds Plus are objectively the slightly better headphones between the two, with some big wins (battery and sound accuracy), whereas the Buds 2 Pro only score subtantially higher where noise isolation is concerned thanks to ANC:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...e-wireless/1791/34599?usage=19&threshold=0.10

To add, I have the original Buds, which aren't even exactly as great as the Pluses. I got the Buds2 in a bundle with my 23U, and I gave them away to my girlfriend, as they just aren't as good - sound nearly exactly the same, but they lost me on the fit. I needed to adjust them at the gym, where the original Buds would stay firmly in my ears regardless of what I did, as they are secured firmly in place by the wingtips.

The Buds3 series may be launching soon though, likely with the S24 series at the start of 2024, as it's been over two years since the Buds2 came out. The Buds2/Pro are good in isolation, but not better overall than the first generation was, if you don't care about ANC. My wishful thinking is that they bring the best of the Pluses with the Buds 2 features, perhaps somewhat further improved. Samsung already signaled that they know it's the right path with the recent FEs.

I just want something new lo. No other reason.

It's very odd that the Pluses are 3+ years old and still might be one of the best sounding wireless buds out there without getting in to actual audiophile territory.

I don't remember where I read about it but I just became aware of Sony's "portable theater system."

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/speakers/all-speakers/p/htax7

Pretty neat but also pretty pricey. My sister is looking to have a proper home setup for doing some work but also listening to music and movies. At $500, there's probably much better computer speakers out there but I know she will be moving around a bit when she gets her own place and the portable aspect might be nice. I just like the surround sound aspect of it since a proper sound bar for a laptop-monitor setup might be obnoxious.

But it's still pretty neat that Sony made something like this.

This is what I've been using for couple of weeks

MacBook Pro
OS version 10.11.6
2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDR3
GeForce 9400M 256MB

lol fucking ancient!

Some websites are broken but my trusty sites like StreetHop works just fine. Most importantly, it has an optical drive! :cool:

dilla

Anyone got experience with the handheld gaming PCs? Just saw the Steam Deck OLED and orders went live today. Looks pretty neat but I feel like all these handheld PCs run the risk of breaking within a year or two.

dilla

It's interesting how brand recognition and reputation works in the tech world and how it differs between enthusiasts and casuals. Ten-plus years after their beginnings, people still have a "side" for Android vs iOS and for different reasons.

Several years ago, in this very thread, there was a misconception on both sides of what phone OS was popular and desirable by enthusiasts and casuals alike. Being in the US, the iPhone was king and everyone wanted an Apple device of any kind, be it an iPad, iPhone, Mac, etc. But the EU, it was the opposite. Same with Asia, though we don't really have Asian users on here in Asia. Both sides insisted one OS was dominant over the other. We have our own preference for our own reasons but people that just wanted a smartphone and to have something that looked and felt premium (and trendy) gravitated towards iOS.

Since that time, the reasons for picking one over the other changed for casual users and now it's turned snobby. And transcended generations (boomers, millenials, zoomers, etc.). Folks 26-and-under seem to look down on those with the green bubble in iMessage because it means the other user doesn't have an iPhone. And it's to the point that younger users are embarrassed because of it. It's nothing new, it's been happening for several years now. Even my sister told me about how it is viewed among her generation of people. That's so weird.

On top of that, how strange is it to see how the Android ecosystem has turned out. Samsung is the biggest player for the OS, at least in the US, and it's basically a Samsung vs Apple thing. I'm sure non-Samsung phones sell in EU and Asia since there are OEMs that are much cheaper in those regions but ultimately the mobile market still looks to be between two OEMs, for the most part.

Just interesting to see since most of us have had a smartphone for 14+ years (14 years and a few days for me at this point) and how much has changed since then. And, also, how much hasn't.

I remember Casey mentioning an app called WhatsApp in 09 or 2010 and I was wondering "wtf do people need a messenger app when texting is a thing?" Look where it's at now. I downloaded it back then but no one I knew used it (remember, it's 09 and the LG Chocolate was probably the best selling phone, not a smartphone), so I deleted it. I knew about the app but never used it again until almost ten years later in 2020 when my classmates had a group chat for announcements and such. Then with family coming back in to our lives, it got even more usage. Now I really don't text unless it's the handful of friends from college or high school that are in the US; I just use WhatsApp. Remember it was free for a year but then it was $1 after that and they'd remind you with a pop up every time? Some people managed to get around it until it eventually became free but I couldn't get it to work so I ended up uninstalling it since I could no longer use it.

Good times.

This is the article that inspired me to write this whole post: https://katv.com/news/nation-world/...t-iphone-android-guns-black-bmw-food-delivery

It's so comical that they actually returned the phone.

Also, this app/service called Beeper that makes the insecure feel secure again: https://blog.beeper.com/p/introducing-beeper-mini-get-blue

Finally, a year later, I have updated my PC build (which I'll probably never build and will just waste time tinkering on PCPP and reading up hardware news about.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3f9PQP

ARon

green bubble checking in. I've noticed young people think android phones are for poor people, always thought that was funny

Just wanted to say I'm in the process of building almost that same PC. I have the saaphire nitro 7800XT. I currently use a 5800x3d, probably won't upgrade the cpu until next gen. I have a new case so I haven't used the gpu yet because I want to swap everything into the new case first.

Last edited:
Blue bubble checking in. More critics of yesteryear turned blue now.

According to my nephew, everything other than Tesla, Apple and Nike is "poor". I blame the parents.

I care less and less about brands and trends as I age. I just want something long-lasting!

"Your battery died? Get a new phone you poor motherfucker!" - Tim Cook

I heard kids in Japan get teased at school for not having an iPhone. "Fashion" may be a bit different in a relatively more homogenous society.

I think banning phones in schools would be a great option.

The scene in my days was poor kids showing up to school in fake Adidas pants with four stripes.

Last edited:

dilla

green bubble checking in. I've noticed young people think android phones are for poor people, always thought that was funny

Just wanted to say I'm in the process of building almost that same PC. I have the saaphire nitro 7800XT. I currently use a 5800x3d, probably won't upgrade the cpu until next gen. I have a new case so I haven't used the gpu yet because I want to swap everything into the new case first.
Yeah, I think the 7800XT will be the smarter choice. Doubt I'd appreciate the performance of the XTX even with a 4K screen. At least with the games I play.

I'm not too hung up on the AIB (is that the term?) but I've heard good things about XFX and Sapphire for quality and support. I think they're US-based and that gives people some comfort if there's an RMA situation. XFX Merc looks cleaner. I don't think there's any RGB, which is not a big deal either way especially if it's more subtle. I do want some RGB like the RAM just so there's a little glow in the case.

dilla

@masta247 you guys think Intel has finally caught up the AMD in balancing power and efficiency with Meteor Lake?

dilla

Is there a definitive answer on RAM Plus and if there's a benefit to leaving it on or off?

Google searches brought me to Reddit posts where it looked like Asian teens flinging shit at each other while not knowing what they were talking about.

I had it enabled with 8 GB without knowing it and I'm tempted to just turn it off and see if I see battery life gains or performance loss.

dilla

I thought CES starts next week but I'm either seeing official press releases or leaks of stuff, like the new MSI handheld and some monitors from LG and Dell.

I've got my eye out for whatever Nvidia is releasing with the hopes that it pushes other, older GPU prices down a bit.

The phone releases don't seem all that exciting to me and they haven't been for several years now.

Other than that, I don't know what I'm looking to see but CES is still an exciting time that ends up having a few surprises.

dilla

Some interesting stuff getting unveiled. Lots of interesting looking monitors. GPUs are interesting too, like the 4070TiS.

dilla

I got everything in the cart and I'm definitely ready to buy the hardware for my build. Every thing minus the GPU. And case.

I saw the 4070S was benchmarked finally (embargo lifted) and it looks good. I was waiting for these to be announced and, eventually, benchmarked so I could see if the 7900 XTX still held its value especially against the 4080/4080S. I'll have to wait, probably, another three weeks before those benchmarks come out but I think the 4070S saw a 15% boost over the 4070? Something like that.

I got sucked in to the VRAM hype and thought 24GB in the XTX meant good things for its longevity but I'm being told by plenty of people on Reddit that the processing power of the XTX (or 4090 for that matter) may not be powerful enough for when the time comes when more games use 20 or 24GB of RAM. So it gave me pause in that regard.

At the same time, those same people are tooting the horn of Nvidia's features like DLSS, Frame Generation, and better RT. Now I'm questioning if I would use those or not. I've heard from many that RT is a gimmick; I personally have not played a game with RT options so I can't say just how much value it adds. I know it's a resource hog.

Frame Generation and upscaling, I've heard, does not do you favors in fast-paced games like COD and Halo. It might look nicer but you maybe less "accurate" in your aiming and reactions? Not sure, maybe I misunderstood. But I've heard it makes single player, visually-intensive games look much better. Which is nice but I don't know if devs have to support that feature, like RT, or if it can be done on any game regardless.

So now I have three GPUs I will consider. The 4070Ti, 7900 XTX, or the 4080S. Or the 7900XT? I know Nvidia cards will be a bitch to find because of scalpers. They might also be priced to high hell above MSRP. So one can only hope that the AMD cards plummet in price and I can get an XTX for $800 or less or the 7900XT for somewhere in the $600s.
I flip flop between the Corsair 4000D Airflow and the Fractal Design Torrent. My mind is hung up on airflow and worried about the system running hot. I don't know why, but it's a paranoia at this point. And I think those cases, with their included fans, will do the job well enough.

Thoughts, @masta247?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP Cardea A440 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($1029.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($242.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2242.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-16 21:01 EST-0500

Last edited:

dilla

Bought everything but the cooler and GPU. Should be here by Thursday. Waiting until next week-ish to pull the trigger on the 7900XTX Nitro and just hoping AMD drops prices once the 4080S and 4070TiS gets benchmarked.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MhHyyg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $349.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $209.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (Purchased For $107.99)
Storage: TEAMGROUP Cardea A440 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $129.99)
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($1049.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $229.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $174.99)
Total: $2288.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-23 02:23 EST-0500

dilla

Got everything, started building last night and finished this early morning. I don't think I fucked anything up except the fan headers and hub. Everything is running at max speed lol.

I'll get the GPU later this week. I'll wait to see if the 4080S causes even a $50 price drop on the XTX and I'll pull the trigger either way. I'm set on the Nitro+ from Sapphire. I don't think there's a card that looks better. Maybe the XFX MERC, but it's more of a sleek, black style.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.