Console & Gaming Thread

masta247

Staff member
While I would love a new Sega console, it is very unlikely to happen, and surely they wouldn't even talk to the people from the link above.

Sega isn't the same company anymore, they are a shadow of their former self and the closest to hardware they get are the arcade machines, which are a completely different thing.
But even IF they were to release a console, it would be nothing like this "proposal". It just looks like a mini PC running Linux, and Sega wouldn't take stock PC components OR an open operating system to make a console. They would literally use nothing from this proposal, not even the design which is not in line with anything Sega would do.

Additionally, that work (the mock-up) is by far the easiest part of launching a console. Sega could do that work on their own in no time to their own exact spec. Perhaps they even have dozens of mock-ups laying around their HQ that never went further than that stage, because they wouldn't carry on with the insane resources needed to launch a competitive console that would likely not compete successfully with the Xbox or PlayStation without needing even more insane resources. Even if they still have such resources, there's no way they would take the risk that could put the whole company down.

A NES like "nostalgia" console with some old games build it? Sure. Next gen console? Extremely unlikely, and if there ever is one, it 100% isn't going to be based on this proposal.

Last edited:

THEV1LL4N

While I would love a new Sega console, it is very unlikely to happen, and surely they wouldn't even talk to the people from the link above.

Sega isn't the same company anymore, they are a shadow of their former self and the closest to hardware they get are the arcade machines, which are a completely different thing.
But even IF they were to release a console, it would be nothing like this "proposal". It just looks like a mini PC running Linux, and Sega wouldn't take stock PC components OR an open operating system to make a console. They would literally use nothing from this proposal, not even the design which is not in line with anything Sega would do.

Additionally, that work (the mock-up) is by far the easiest part of launching a console. Sega could do that work on their own in no time to their own exact spec. Perhaps they even have dozens of mock-ups laying around their HQ that never went further than that stage, because they wouldn't carry on with the insane resources needed to launch a competitive console that would likely not compete successfully with the Xbox or PlayStation without needing even more insane resources. Even if they still have such resources, there's no way they would take the risk that could put the whole company down.

A NES like "nostalgia" console with some old games build it? Sure. Next gen console? Extremely unlikely, and if there ever is one, it 100% isn't going to be based on this proposal.
That's the sad thing. They're just too far behind the competition and it's a two-horsed race for high end consoles. SEGA had some great titles and exclusives and even the Dreamcast was ahead of it's time (I very nearly bought it but opted for the Playstation). I ended up with a Dreamcast that my brother's mate gave him for free anyway.

I wonder what Google has lined up for their rumoured streaming console and if that can compete with Nintendo and the NVidia Shield.

THEV1LL4N

I had:
Sonic 2
FIFA 95
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Puggsy
Taz: Escape 2 Mars
Mega Games I (Super Hang-On, Columns & World Cup Italia 90)
I can't remember off the top of my head if I had anything else.

I used to go down Blockbuster Video and rent games as well (but my brother had way more playing time from rented games than I did because he was older).

yak pac fatal

I have zero interest in it. I like physical media so I’m gonna stick with ps5 when it drops. I know the writing on the wall is digital only. Hopefully not anytime soon. I heard the cheaper version of the next Xbox is either digital or stream only.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.