Console & Gaming Thread

masta247

Staff member
Also, does the size of the Series S bother you at all and leave you concerned about proper cooling? When I saw a few videos of reviewers getting the dummy units, they were shocked at the size of the Series S. That made me think they were expecting something bigger than what they unboxed and it made me think that there may have been some serious compromises to get all of that advertised power into such a small footprint. I know there's the giant vent on top that memes have been made about but is that enough? Aren't the components shoe-horned in there to make it fit in that small form factor and no matter how good the cooling is, that still takes a toll on the components?
The Series S has a tiny, weak GPU. It's going to run cool, so I'm not concerned. Even last gen's Xbox One X GPU is 50% faster than the Series S, and the One X is also small and runs very cool and quiet, and the chip in the Series S is even more efficient. The Ryzen 7 4800U is a mobile chip that performs about as well as the Series S chip and it's cooled by tiny fans in thin and light laptops, and in a similar configuration to what you'd see in the Series S it uses a funny 15 watts of power. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses as little as 1/10th of the power of the Series X chip.

I know the price is tempting, but I wouldn't consider the Series S unless you were buying it for the kids or something. It's just way too weak. Even then in the long run you might get more bang for your buck getting the X knowing you'll be able to play used games for dirt cheap, especially as there is backwards compatibility. Imho the Series X is a great console. It's crazy powerful for a console, and seems to do everything just right. I would go as far as to say that it's the best implemented console I've seen so far from the hardware perspective, and accompanying services. It almost hurts a bit that I don't need it.

Oh shit, are there any rumors that it may be a Sony exclusive again though? I have S3 on PC, so if 4 launches there too I should be good.

Last edited:

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
But what if Microsoft buys Sega :)

The Bethesda move was HUGE. That was the nail in Sony's coffin for me. The Sega deal would just be amazing.

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I think MS tried to quell the Sega purchase rumors but fans keep bring it up and adding fuel to the rumor fire.

After reading more about what this current gen has been like, I think the new wars are going to be over exclusives. They always have been a driving force since way-back-when but I think this upcoming generation is going to be defined by it. I know back in the PS2 days, Square was a big pseudo-exclusive for Sony, really since the PSX days. Then I think the 360 started getting Square Enix games and Nintendo was last, at least not since the SNES days.

And another big acquisition at the time that upset people was MS buying up Rareware and all the IP. After classics like Conker and Banko Kazooie, all of it went to MS consoles.

But those acquisitions seemed few and far in between; I think Sony really took it ten notches higher during the PS4 era which is why the PS4 had so many exclusives. Good exclusives that people wanted and would buy a PS4 just to play. And I think MS finally heard the complaints of fans and the Bethesda acquisition was supposed to be a heavy-handed response to that. I don't think it puts them on-par with Sony yet, but it's a big step forward.

From my understanding, first party titles never leave Game Pass, so all MS Studios stuff will be there forever and you won't have to purchase the game, just the pass. And then there's the rotating offerings on Gamepass from other developers, usually available on launch day. So MS has that plus the Bethesda acquisition to build off of for this upcoming generation. It'd be huge if it bought Sega and those were the rumors earlier this week, but the counterpoints and MS coming out and denying the acquisition have cooled me down a bit on the idea of it happening. But MS needs to make a few more acquisitions of studios and start coming up with new IPs. You can't just rely on established stuff from Bethesda and continue to pump out sequels to those.

I feel like it's going to be a lot like the tech/app world where startups are going to be bought left and right and bigger companies, like MS and Sony, are going to incorporate their work in to their products. Sort of like Apple and Google and even Facebook acquiring these small start ups for millions and using it to make billions.

The Series S has a tiny, weak GPU. It's going to run cool, so I'm not concerned. Even last gen's Xbox One X GPU is 50% faster than the Series S, and the One X is also small and runs very cool and quiet, and the chip in the Series S is even more efficient. The Ryzen 7 4800U is a mobile chip that performs about as well as the Series S chip and it's cooled by tiny fans in thin and light laptops, and in a similar configuration to what you'd see in the Series S it uses a funny 15 watts of power. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses as little as 1/10th of the power of the Series X chip.

I know the price is tempting, but I wouldn't consider the Series S unless you were buying it for the kids or something. It's just way too weak. Even then in the long run you might get more bang for your buck getting the X knowing you'll be able to play used games for dirt cheap, especially as there is backwards compatibility. Imho the Series X is a great console. It's crazy powerful for a console, and seems to do everything just right. I would go as far as to say that it's the best implemented console I've seen so far from the hardware perspective, and accompanying services. It almost hurts a bit that I don't need it.
Well, you don't need it now because it would be silly to buy a SS or SX just to play Gamepass games on it from the One generation. I don't think there's a killer app at launch that is going to make people go nuts and buy the console, although people still lost their shit for the preorders anyway. I have a feeling most of them will be playing old games on Gamepass until a major title is released and even that probably won't push the X to its hardware limits, obviously. It just seems like a waste of $500 at this point. At least PS5 has Demon's Souls and Spiderman that might entice a good number of people to play it, although I think the latter is also a PS4 title.

I think the only one MS that exclusive is Dirt 5 and Halo: Infinite? That might be enough for people to upgrade and I do like Halo, but I still feel old, used One games from Gamestop will hold me over for a few years, along with Gamepass. And then I go the X route because the Series S with an expansion storage card is going to cost more than a Series X alone.

Last edited:

dilla

Xbox Series X and extra controller preordered but I missed first batch so it looks like I’ll get the December batch.

Nice. Preorders are opening up and closing in waves, according to a tracking site I use. Almost all of them are from the Microsoft website, not retailers like Gamestop or Target or Walmart. They seem to be out since the day preorders started but MS seems to keep magically finding one or two here or there once or twice a day.

I'm just waiting on the One S to drop in price. $299 is a no-go for 4+ year old version of a 7 year old console. $179 or less and I'll bite. I'll Gamepass my time away for a year or two and then see who is leading in the next-gen "console war" and make a decision then.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Nice. Preorders are opening up and closing in waves, according to a tracking site I use. Almost all of them are from the Microsoft website, not retailers like Gamestop or Target or Walmart. They seem to be out since the day preorders started but MS seems to keep magically finding one or two here or there once or twice a day.

I'm just waiting on the One S to drop in price. $299 is a no-go for 4+ year old version of a 7 year old console. $179 or less and I'll bite. I'll Gamepass my time away for a year or two and then see who is leading in the next-gen "console war" and make a decision then.
For me I just don’t have time to really care. So I’ll pay a premium for the luxury now. Play on game pass and just worry about the future in the future. I went to Sony this gen and honestly it’s been my least favorite gen so far. I’ve barely played the PS4 other than Spider-Man and Doom. Everything has been meh. And with the cross platform games being stronger on Xbox with the better console, and MS buying Bethesda who’s games I’ve loved before including the aforementioned Doom, it’s really a no brained for me.

I’ve got Game Pass Ultimate already paid up until October 2023. So I’m good.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I preordered a PS5 with disc drive

And a Series S

But I'm not much of a gamer. Haha. My son wants the PS5, otherwise I'd have been happy with the S

Last edited:

dilla

For me I just don’t have time to really care. So I’ll pay a premium for the luxury now. Play on game pass and just worry about the future in the future. I went to Sony this gen and honestly it’s been my least favorite gen so far. I’ve barely played the PS4 other than Spider-Man and Doom. Everything has been meh. And with the cross platform games being stronger on Xbox with the better console, and MS buying Bethesda who’s games I’ve loved before including the aforementioned Doom, it’s really a no brained for me.

I’ve got Game Pass Ultimate already paid up until October 2023. So I’m good.

Yeah, the consensus among most people is that Sony has the better and more exclusives but there wasn't a whole lot that I actually wanted to play. The big game that it has right now that the Xbox doesn't is the FF7 Remake, but I believe that is a "timed exclusive" so we should see that soon.

And I was referring to the One S, not the Series S, about the price tag. The Series S is definitely worth it at $299 but the One S is $299 as we speak which is ridiculous. I have read that Black Friday 2019 had One Ss and PS4s for $199 or less. I'm hoping for the same this year.

I would get a Series S but I really want to play older One games first and I'd need a disc drive for that since I'd get them dirt cheap from Gamestop. I'd rather not buy them all digital and take up space on a Series S's already-limited storage space. And I am always wary of the launch batch of new tech, be it games or computers. I don't the RRoD of the 360 era on a Series S or X. So I'll wait a few months to get a Series model if I can't get my hands on a One S.

I plan on doing the GP Ultimate conversion of Live soon enough so that would be 2-3 years of GPU for about $96, which is a stupid good deal.

And yeah, Bethesda seems to be a big acquisition for MS. I didn't play Doom or Elder Scrolls and other big games from them but I know for other people, those are big games and a big reason to go MS this time around.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Yeah, the consensus among most people is that Sony has the better and more exclusives but there wasn't a whole lot that I actually wanted to play. The big game that it has right now that the Xbox doesn't is the FF7 Remake, but I believe that is a "timed exclusive" so we should see that soon.

And I was referring to the One S, not the Series S, about the price tag. The Series S is definitely worth it at $299 but the One S is $299 as we speak which is ridiculous. I have read that Black Friday 2019 had One Ss and PS4s for $199 or less. I'm hoping for the same this year.

I would get a Series S but I really want to play older One games first and I'd need a disc drive for that since I'd get them dirt cheap from Gamestop. I'd rather not buy them all digital and take up space on a Series S's already-limited storage space. And I am always wary of the launch batch of new tech, be it games or computers. I don't the RRoD of the 360 era on a Series S or X. So I'll wait a few months to get a Series model if I can't get my hands on a One S.

I plan on doing the GP Ultimate conversion of Live soon enough so that would be 2-3 years of GPU for about $96, which is a stupid good deal.

And yeah, Bethesda seems to be a big acquisition for MS. I didn't play Doom or Elder Scrolls and other big games from them but I know for other people, those are big games and a big reason to go MS this time around.

Ahhh sorry One S, Series S, stupid naming conventions.

Did you see how many sales the Xbox One S got on pre order day? Lol.

dilla

Ahhh sorry One S, Series S, stupid naming conventions.

Did you see how many sales the Xbox One S got on pre order day? Lol.
I think it's a silly naming scheme too but...what can you do?

And yeah, I read about the One X, specifically, seeing a 700+% jump in sales on Amazon. It doesn't help that people on Amazon have One Xs selling for $450+ and even more if it's a bundle with a game of some sort. I read that the One X was like $299 earlier this year in anticipation of the Series SX but jumped up in price during the lockdown to its original MSRP from a few years ago. Some bastards took it further and are charging more because some buyers are just that desperate, I guess.

If retailers pull some BS on BF and don't lower the One S prices enough, I'll just wait until next year when Series S or X stock is back to normal and get that. I just want the disc drive for older games but I could be hyper-fixated on that aspect and may just be fine with the disc-less Series S.

Make sure you do that Gamepass Ultimate offer for $1. Max out your Live subscription to 36 months and then turn all of that to Ultimate for $1

dilla

Do you guys have TVs capable of all the next-gen features? Like the 4K@120hz? HDMI 2.1, which is probably tied to the 120/4K?

I hope Atmos and other sound tech is more emphasized this time around. I think very few Xbox One games supported Atmos and even though I don't have an Atmos sound system, it would be kind of a letdown if there's all this visual improvements but the sound doesn't get updated to "next-gen."

dilla

So aside from Rukas and his Series X, did anyone try to get a preorder and actually get it?

dilla

I'll probably attempt to get a PS5 some time during next year.

Sony and MS gonna make bank on the SSDs.
I'm starting to flip flop between getting a new One S for cheap or just shooting a bit higher and getting the Series S for $300. Yeah, there's some compromises but maybe having a disc drive isn't all its cracked up to be. I could probably get a digital version of a One game for a few bucks more and just play it on the Series S and be fine with it. I can't see myself spending $500 for the Series X, though. I'm sure it'll be great on my TV but I don't game that seriously where I can spend $500. $300 for the Series S is manageable and if Black Friday brings a One S to me for $150, I'll go with that until the Series models get their refresh in two to three years.

Storage is going to be the money maker this generation. Yeah, both of them are going to make bank off of proprietary storage. I have a spare SSD that I could probably use and be OK with storing games on it or playing One games from it. Next-gen games will need to be on the internal storage, though, to be played. I get it, but that sucks. Maybe the Seagate Expansion storage will go down in price in a year or two, like most storage does with time.

Also, I don't pay attention to VR but MS might be planning something in regards to it: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...references-surface-microsoft-flight-simulator

yak pac fatal

I'm starting to flip flop between getting a new One S for cheap or just shooting a bit higher and getting the Series S for $300. Yeah, there's some compromises but maybe having a disc drive isn't all its cracked up to be. I could probably get a digital version of a One game for a few bucks more and just play it on the Series S and be fine with it. I can't see myself spending $500 for the Series X, though. I'm sure it'll be great on my TV but I don't game that seriously where I can spend $500. $300 for the Series S is manageable and if Black Friday brings a One S to me for $150, I'll go with that until the Series models get their refresh in two to three years.

Storage is going to be the money maker this generation. Yeah, both of them are going to make bank off of proprietary storage. I have a spare SSD that I could probably use and be OK with storing games on it or playing One games from it. Next-gen games will need to be on the internal storage, though, to be played. I get it, but that sucks. Maybe the Seagate Expansion storage will go down in price in a year or two, like most storage does with time.

Also, I don't pay attention to VR but MS might be planning something in regards to it: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...references-surface-microsoft-flight-simulator
Yea, I don't game like I used to as well so I'm gonna wait til next year plus my backlog is crazzzzzzy and Cyberpunk 2077. If I was you I'd go with Series S and gamepass. Tis a solid deal do the point I don't know how they're gonna make profits lol.

I prefer physical copy of games so I'm gonna have to shell out $500 plus tax smh.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.