Console & Gaming Thread

Tha_Wood

Underboss
Staff member
I've never streamed any games before. Didn't PlayStation have some streaming service for games? I'd be concerned about stability issues. A console that was only downloaded games would be interesting but I wonder if you could buy the download code from stores or just through the PlayStation or xbox store. I have found that normally you can pick up a game from a retail store for around $10 to $30 cheaper than the consoles online store.

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I don't know about console gaming and how currency works there but I find gift cards on the cheap and use those to buy apps. Like the iTunes gift cards are like $79 for $100 worth of cards from Costco. Maybe Microsoft or Sony does the same for in-game currency?

Just find them on sale and you'll get some sort of discount.

masta247

Staff member
I see Stadia more like a progression to let's plays rather than an alternative to owning legitimate gaming PCs or consoles. Unless you're a very casual gamer, it's more like an interactive demo tool for new AAA titles.

It won't take a slice of any of the existing gaming markets, so its main opportunity is with the new adopters as a cheap way to start sort-of gaming. If it manages to mitigate the technical shortcomings and starts feeling just like a more laggy console experience, we might start seeing people actually choose streaming over owning the hardware. It's never going to be the same class of experience though.

dilla

I haven't looked too much in to Stadia but I have read the headlines for it. People sound cautiously optimistic about it. I just don't trust it being backed by Google, which likely means it shutters for no reason in the next 3-4 years after being ignored for the majority of that time. Kind of like most of Google's other services.

I'm not sure how the Nvidia Shield or the Steam Box thingy did in sales and popularity, but you don't hear too much about them anymore. But I feel like they were a similar concept?

Looking at that Stadia controller, it reminds me I need to get on getting an XB1 controller for Boot Camp. I played the games on it for a week or so after getting BC but I stopped after that because it was not enjoyable to play using a keyboard lol. Certainly not a game like Forza or a hack and slash like DMC5. I still have The Division 2 code to redeem and I've heard good things about it, but still, I bet it only plays well with a controller. Or I'm too used to a controller for FPS.

THEV1LL4N

Google Stadia?

The free tier is now available. They should really price their games more competitively though. Maybe in good time... I hope.

masta247

Staff member
The new consoles are going to be super beastly. The new Xbox will be faster again where it matters most, although it's quite large to accommodate cooling.

dilla

Gonna try to stop spamming the Android thread with gaming talk lol. I was about to make one for the Series S/X.

$299 is a sick price. It's what the One S is right now I'm reading that it may go down to $199 or $179 once the Series' releases. I think I'd still go the One S route for the optical drive because I still have to play the games from the One era and I won't be able to do that on the Series S unless I bought them digitally. I planned to get dirt-cheap discs from Gamestop and spend no more than $100 total over the next few years on those games. Probably much less since One games can be had for $15 easily and they'd still be AAA titles and not something like Barney's Singalong Songs.

I'd use the One S for a few years and wait for a mid-cycle refresh on the Series consoles, and hopefully a price-drop, and hope they clean up any hardware design issues that are sure to pop up.

For the rest, I'd just use Game Pass Ultimate. EA just partnered with MS and is bringing EA Access to GPU, which is going to make it even more valuable. So I'd get the One S for a handful of old One games and then use GPU for the newer ones.

As for Sony, I don't know what they'd have to announce to neutralize the bomb MS has dropped the past few days. Several bombs, mind you. The pricing for the S and X ($299/$499, respectively) and the release date of November 10. Pre-orders start on the 22 of this month, I believe? And then the EA Access partnership announced today.

Gamers looking for value have got to be thinking about the Series S and a GPU subscription. Sony might subjectively have more AAA titles that are exclusives but if you don't care for those games to begin with, the Xbox platform looks to give better value. The only thing that might give me pause would be having the digital PS5 be the same price as the Series S. Couple that with the fact that all PS5s will have the same power and no compromise for getting the digital edition and it might entice people looking for the most powerful hardware at that price point.

But I doubt Sony can do that, no matter how much they may want to. I feel that would be too big of a financial loss.

Also, the memes about the Series S' design got old within the first few hours. And they keep getting reposted everywhere.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I'm PlayStation loyal, although I did also buy an Xbox 360 (or 7) when I had more time (and cash). But... I need to see what Sony do with the PS5 because what Microsoft have just announced has my attention. I have PS Now (for my son) and it needs to be more comparable to what Microsoft provide if I'm going to sign up

dilla

PS5 event looked pretty cool. Sony with the exclusives and "timed" exclusives. I thought I was set on going to the Series X in a few years after getting a cheap Xbox One and playing through the old stuff. But I'm not sure anymore.

I'll have to see what the Sony exclusives have been in years past since I didn't really pay attention to gaming during this gen. I might still find Xbox's Gamepass to still be a better deal.

dilla

lol the Ps5 preorder situation was pretty wild. Some retailers opened up orders the day after the event which was well before when Sony said preorders would be opening. A positive thing that I heard from that happening was that scalpers who had bots ready to preorder on a future date were thrown off, albeit temporarily, and more regular folks were able to preorder. On the other hand, those looking to preorder the RTX 3080, or whatever, were drowned out by the bots that grabbed most of them. And now prices from the scalpers for those are $2000+. I feel bad for the PC community in that regard, but shit happens. Hopefully no one purchases from the scalpers and they have to eat shit on the cost of being assholes.

I'm still planning to get the One S for now and playing through the old One games. The Series S looked like a great value, and it is, but it wouldn't make sense for me to get it without a disc drive since my plan to play older One games depended heavily on cheap games from Gamestop during its sales. And I'd love to get a Series X but not at $500, so the plan to get either Series model a few years down the line when the catalog improves, hardware issues are fixed, and the price goes down are still in play.

I'll just have to wait for the supposed price drop on the One S. Last BF it was $179. I'm hoping for at least that much of a drop this year, if not lower considering it's a year after that same price.

Casey

Staff member
I'll get a PS5, but I don't care about pre-ordering it. I need to finish Ghost of Tsushima, then play Streets of Rage 4, and then Yakuza 7, all on PS4, before I'll get a PS5. That'll most likely take me to the end of the year, and stock will probably be much more available early next year anyway.

Unless people are really desperate to play a launch game, I don't think there's much need to pre-order. Sony have already confirmed they are ramping up production - I think shortages are unlikely. Maybe for the first month or so at most.

dilla

I'll get a PS5, but I don't care about pre-ordering it. I need to finish Ghost of Tsushima, then play Streets of Rage 4, and then Yakuza 7, all on PS4, before I'll get a PS5. That'll most likely take me to the end of the year, and stock will probably be much more available early next year anyway.

Unless people are really desperate to play a launch game, I don't think there's much need to pre-order. Sony have already confirmed they are ramping up production - I think shortages are unlikely. Maybe for the first month or so at most.
Yeah, it not worth shelling out big bucks right now just to play "optimized for Series S/X" Xbox One games. Or Gamepass. And like you said, stock should improve early next year so there's no need for a mad dash to the store to preorder.

Speaking of preorders, the Xbox preorders start tomorrow morning although some places in AUS have started taking them already.

And MS picked an awfully interesting time to get the deal for Bethesda and others done, right before the preorders started: https://www.theverge.com/21449178/microsoft-xbox-bethesda-zenimax-media-acquisition-xbox-game-pass

Da_Funk

I've been playing a Diablo 2 mod called path of Diablo when I can. It's great, basically old school Diablo 2 with a few quality of life features. I did pick up metro exodus and call of duty in July but have barely touched them. Can't imagine I'll get a new console until into the new year.

masta247

Staff member
The series X is so much better than the PS5 in pretty much all regards except for the exclusives. Microsoft went balls to the wall with Gamepass and other value adds that Sony simply can't compete with. I mean, they just literally bought Bethesda yesterday and made it a Microsoft studio like it's nothing.

However, my PC will play the same games as the Xbox, so it's pointless for me to buy it. Now that the Yakuza series is on PC as well I don't have any reasons to go with PS5 either.
I'll hold off for now, until there's an exclusive I really can't live without, but since all Microsoft games will be launching on the XBX and PC it's unlikely I'll be getting that one. It's certainly a great choice if you don't have a decent PC, and much cheaper than building said decent PC too.

Last edited:

dilla

The series X is so much better than the PS5 in pretty much all regards except for the exclusives. Microsoft went balls to the wall with Gamepass and other value adds that Sony simply can't compete with. I mean, they just literally bought Bethesda yesterday and made it a Microsoft studio like it's nothing.

However, my PC will play the same games as the Xbox, so it's pointless for me to buy it. Now that the Yakuza series is on PC as well I don't have any reasons to go with PS5 either.
I'll hold off for now, until there's an exclusive I really can't live without, but since all Microsoft games will be launching on the XBX and PC it's unlikely I'll be getting that one. It's certainly a great choice if you don't have a decent PC, and much cheaper than building said decent PC too.
Gamepass seems like a no-brainer but as someone who didn't pay attention to gaming for so long, I couldn't list the exclusives of either MS or Sony's PS4. But I still get a feeling of FOMO knowing that most, if not all, of the One X/Series X games will be on PC. And while I don't game on Windows all that much via Boot Camp, it still feels a bit bad that MS considers PC and Xbox gaming to be sort of the same thing, minus the difference and variance in hardware capabilites (gaming PCs vs work PCs vs an Xbox).

Gamepass feels like it would be too much of a good thing, like choice of games, that I'd start games and never finish them in favor of trying out a new game and eventually getting bored of the whole thing. Although, they are bring EA Access to GP so that means more casual games like sports games, which I don't really get bored of. But more story-driven games, I can see myself getting stuck and bailing.

One thing I wonder is what MS thinks what version of the Series owners of the 360 and One consoles and their games are going to buy. If you go the S route, you have no disc drive to play older games you've amassed since the 360 started, 15 years ago, unless you re-purchased them digitally. Or you spend $200 more and get the X but even then not all games are BC so you'd likely want to keep your older consoles. Or move on from them and the games entirely.

And the S is starting to feel like and worse and worse value. If storage is going to be an issue with the size of games, the S has half the storage of the X. An expansion storage option is $200, from what I've read, which is also the price difference between the S and X.

So for $499 you either get a Series X, the most powerful console that has 1 TB of storage and a disc drive or you get the Series S with inferior hardware and 500 GB more storage than an X and still no disc drive.

I've read about using an external drive to simply store SX games or run One games, so that's always an option that is much cheaper, but the disc drive still feels like a necessity for someone like me who plans on buying used games from the One era and catching up on those.

But my original plan still stands: get a One S hopefully for a steep discount on Black Friday as retailers try to get rid of old stock and use that for X-amount of time before upgrading in a few years when the SX have their failures and MS fixes them.

Also, does the size of the Series S bother you at all and leave you concerned about proper cooling? When I saw a few videos of reviewers getting the dummy units, they were shocked at the size of the Series S. That made me think they were expecting something bigger than what they unboxed and it made me think that there may have been some serious compromises to get all of that advertised power into such a small footprint. I know there's the giant vent on top that memes have been made about but is that enough? Aren't the components shoe-horned in there to make it fit in that small form factor and no matter how good the cooling is, that still takes a toll on the components?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.