Console & Gaming Thread

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Elden Ring reviews look good. A few places gave it a "perfect" score. Hope it comes to Gamepass although I think games like that take a very long time to complete and probably won't be able to be completed properly in the time it stays on GamePass.

dilla

One of the YTers I watch has been live streaming Elden Ring for the past several weeks. As beautiful as the game looks, I don't think it's for me. It's definitely too difficult for me and I can see myself rage-quitting early on instead of mastering the mechanics.

Guardians of the Galaxy is more of a game for me and I've been playing it on Gamepass the past few weeks. The dialogue with the characters is pretty funny and it has me reconsidering my aversion to comic/superhero movies. I definitely want to check the movie out, as well as the second one, once I'm done with the game.

dilla

No one playing anything new? I beat FF15 and was confused as hell. I pirated the movie that's supposed to make the story make sense but I have yet to watch it.

I bought FF9 last Holiday sale for like $9 so I started that. I had it for PS2 back in the day but never finished it. I think there was an issue switching from disc 1 to disc 2 and it would freeze or something. I don't remember a lot of the story from the first time during this second playthrough. But it's been a lot of fun replaying it.

I have read of an FF8 remake possibly. I might hold off on buying it if that's true. Still waiting on an announcement for the FF7 Remake coming to Xbox but I've also been hearing rumors of SE possibly being bought by Sony and that might kill that dream. I think FF16 is already going to be a buffet of fuckery when it comes to cross-platform release.

dilla

I just don't have time any more

Yeah, that's understandable. I had a huge break so I had time to be a bum and blow through games. Now I'm doing maybe 5 hours a week of Halo Infinite multiplayer just to wind down. Haven't picked up FF9 since my last post and I might forget the plot, again, the next time I'm able to pick it up

dilla

I finished Kiwami 2. Some of the dialogue was real cringe. The ending was sad and cringe at the same time lol

I started 3. Did they change the voice actor for Kiryu? I'll have to check. The character models are also different. The graphics are better but the characters look a bit off. The newer graphics make them look like knockoffs of what I saw in 1 and 2. I feel like even 0 looked in line with the visuals of 1 an 2.

dilla

@masta247 you ever play Ishin? It had such a quiet release I didn't even know about it. The original nor the remaster. A YTer I watch was watching someone else streaming the game and I was so confused as to why the voice and character models looked like Yakuza's before I googled one of the items shown in the game to discover it was Ishin and what it was.

masta247

Staff member
@masta247 you ever play Ishin? It had such a quiet release I didn't even know about it. The original nor the remaster. A YTer I watch was watching someone else streaming the game and I was so confused as to why the voice and character models looked like Yakuza's before I googled one of the items shown in the game to discover it was Ishin and what it was.
Never tried, since I never had a PS3 or PS4. I'd probably give it a go, although the pseudo-historic setting was keeping me away from it.

dilla

It's tough keeping up with the Yakuza series since I've been on 4 for a few months now. We saw Ishin get released on Gamepass and now Gaiden is coming out as well to Gamepass. Odd how the Judgement series hasn't come to Gamepass.

I downloaded Starfield at release but got bored with it just a few hours in. I actually don't like games that give you too many choices or customization because I get lost in it and end up with something just shitty. Like designing your own spacecraft or being able to just fly it for hours on end in one direction to "explore" space. I didn't like the Fallout games I tried because I got lost and basically read guides just to progress through the game which wasn't very enjoyable.

I have been doing a few races a day in Forza, though. That's been fun.

I saw that Activision is still milking the COD cow and remaking MW3? I didn't even know it was releasing this year until I saw a post on IG talking about maps in the game and they were all maps from the original MW2 that I loved. It got me interested but then I remembered it was a $70 game and not worth it at that price. I remember getting MW2 a month after its release, from Target, for $40. I think 360/PS3 games were $50 back then? Maybe $60? So it was quite a discount so soon after launch and a really enjoyable game for me. Not $70 though. Maybe it comes to Gamepass sometime next year? I'm hoping the older CODs come through as well. I wouldn't mind just playing the original MW2 MP just for its maps. I don't play the campaigns. Speaking of which, I heard from those who got a early peek at the new MW3 campaign said it was short and shit. They're getting clowned on Reddit for pre-ordering it and basically beta testing it for the rest of us.

After seeing Sony do a minor update to the PS5 about a year ago and now bring out the Slim and the external drive accessory, I wonder if MS has any plans for refresh. This gen got screwed by COVID with supply shortages and a weak game release schedule for the first 2 years or so, I wonder how long the generation lasts. Will Sony and MS decide to extend the generation to compensate or just give up early and look to release the next Xbox/PS6 in 2025, or so?

dilla

GTA 6 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...uch-anticipated-grand-theft-auto-vi#xj4y7vzkg

Saw the rumors last night from Schreirer at Bloomberg but then saw Rockstar post on IG their own announcement of the announcement.

Never played 5 for more than 30 mins because it was on PC but I'm still excited to jump back in to the series, properly, with 6.

Probably 2 years out, but still interesting to see what they've done so far.

dilla

Damn, some more big news in gaming this week, the OLED Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Not just a screen upgrade but some faster RAM and better battery life.

I've seen some YTers try and make it seem like the ROG Ally or the Lenovo handheld are just as good, which makes me think that they're really not and the Steam Deck has its roots in the handheld gaming market deeper than others.

That pricing is pretty good, too. From a reputable company and not someone like Aya.

Casey

Staff member
I started 3. Did they change the voice actor for Kiryu? I'll have to check. The character models are also different. The graphics are better but the characters look a bit off.
The graphics in 3 are not better lol. They are just different. Completely different and older engine.

3 is the oldest game that you can play on a modern console. Great game but it is showing it's age a little.

Yakuza 0 came out in 2015. Kiwami came out in 2016, Kiwami 2 came out in 2017.

Yakuza 3 came out in 2009, Yakuza 4 came out in 2010 and Yakuza 5 came out in 2012.

So the Yakuza Remastered set which dropped in 2019 has remasters of 3, 4 and 5, upscaled to 1080p and running at 60FPS, but they are the same games, not remade.

Whereas Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are complete modern remakes of the first two games.

I played Ishin and loved it, but I don't think it's mandatory. Much better to play 0 through 7 first.

Just finished Gaiden yesterday and loved it. Ready for Infinite Wealth to drop in January!

And no, Kiryu has always been voiced by Takaya Kuroda, including in 3.

dilla

How about that GTA 6 trailer?

Makes me want to play 5, which I played for an hour within the last year and was the first time I played the game, until 6 comes out.

I played the main GTA games starting with 3 until 4 and enjoyed them but never got in to 5.

My PC crashed and started to smoke when I tried loading the trailer. :(

my guess

File size 500GB (cracked repack 200GB)
DLC-included PC optimized GOTY edition expected to be available in 2031
:D

dilla

Weird how Rockstar puts PC on the back burner. I wasn't aware RDR 1 and/or 2 came out for PC about a year later than consoles. Now GTA6 is going to be console-first and then PC later on.

Casey

Staff member
I'm about a week into Final Fantasy XVI.

Good: Story, graphics, characters
Meh: Combat is just OK. I think 7 Remake is the king here - it has a great balance between action and turn based / party abilities.

In terms of locations, I played FFX last year and that was incredible, with a more Asia / Pacific Island style, compared to the medieval stylings of 16. But the medieval thing is more traditionally FF, I suppose.

dilla

I'm about a week into Final Fantasy XVI.

Good: Story, graphics, characters
Meh: Combat is just OK. I think 7 Remake is the king here - it has a great balance between action and turn based / party abilities.

In terms of locations, I played FFX last year and that was incredible, with a more Asia / Pacific Island style, compared to the medieval stylings of 16. But the medieval thing is more traditionally FF, I suppose.
I'm a bit sour that Square has been putting Xbox further and further below on the priority list in favor of PS4/5. Even PC gets the shaft and has to wait a year, or more, for new FF releases.

I read a mix of reviews on 16, good and bad. I played through 15 last year and it was OK. It didn't feel like the better FFs of the past. I always loved the turn based aspect of the series up until FFX. I thought I'd hate 12 and the Gambits system but I ended up enjoying that too. 13 was fine as well since it was mostly turn based but had a few tweaks to the battle system. 15 was the big departure for me. I think I've even forgotten the story at this point because it was so...meh...

I still have to finish 13 and I heard the trilogy, as a whole, is very worth playing through. Maybe by the time I finish those, 16 will be on Xbox. Or at the very least PC. But seeing how FF7 Remake has yet to make it Xbox, I doubt we see it.

Also, I rage-uninstalled Starfield. I don't like games like that, it turns out. I had similar frustrations when playing Fall Out 3. Not my style of RPG.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.